Cameras in classroom, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacherhere, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:35 PM.

1. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:35 PM

How do you teachers feel about cameras and microphone in the classroom, like a 4 way camera giving full view of the room? The parents could log in anytime and view and hear.

I am actually in favor of this. I am very confident in what I am doing as a professional educator and have nothing to hide. I treat students fairly and would encourage parents to drop in and see me in action. I value my students and treat with them with the utmost respect all the while holding them accountable and having high expectations.

What are your thoughts?

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM

I have nothing to hide but I think it's creepy. Parents are welcome to come join our class and help out anytime, but knowing they might be sitting at home watching would be opening up a whole new way to be a helicopter parent. I can imagine the emails... Ms. O, my son has had his hand raised for the last two questions and you haven't called on him!

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:39 PM

Something like that you would first need principal's permission. If you get that (good chance you won't), then you need to get written permission from each parent. Taking a picture of students in an activity is acceptable, but putting students online (even in a responsible way) is a much different legal issue.

bella84, Caesar753, Backroads and 2 others like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:41 PM

Plus, it would violate student confidentiality. Parents would hear other students' responses and see which were misbehaving or getting extra help.

bella84, Tyler B. and Teacherhere like this.
  6. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:41 PM

Good point. That is a downside.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:44 PM

However, if you did like the idea, you could have a camera posted just at the front of your room, so parents could see you teaching lessons but not the students.

8. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:44 PM

Great point. There are definitely some confidentiality issues.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:53 PM

You would have to check with school policies.

10. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:09 PM

It would probably never happen due to those legal and confidentiality issues. However, it is a free public education so technically laws could change that and if one wants a free education then maybe it would be for public viewing, only the parents of course.

A similiar argument could be that if one wants welfare, food stamps, and government assistance that they need to take a drug test.

Parents could always send their child to a private school if they do not consent to that lack of confidentiality. We do have freedom in this country.

I definitely see the upsides and downsides to having cameras. I guess it would need to be studied more to weigh the costs and benefits.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:49 AM

Drug tests for government assistance has been shown to be a total waste of money.

Cameras in the classroom - sure. Cameras in the classroom that anyone can log onto at any time? That is a lawsuit waiting to happen after a camera isn't configured properly or a password isn't changed.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:43 AM

This idea sounds totally creepy. I have nothing to hide in my classroom, but yuck.

bella84, swansong1, Tyler B. and 3 others like this.
  13. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:00 AM

I don't mind cameras with no audio but a "live" system where parents can log in and view live footage, not so much. I can imagine helicopter parents or super strict parents criticising their kid's responses, having a daily debrief with their kids at home - making kids afraid to answer questions or have a go for fear of failure or having a misstep. I can also imagine backseat teachers (drivers) telling us how to do our job, how we should have done this or that in any particular situation. It's just not a good idea in my opinion.

swansong1, Backroads and otterpop like this.
  14. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:37 AM

Didn't we just have this conversation and thread over the summer? Perhaps OP would want to find that thread. Seems like there was a lengthy discussion with a ton of arguments pro and con. Maybe someone who was part of that thread can remind us of the title, to make it easier to find.

bella84 and Caesar753 like this.
  15. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:46 AM

I think the thread you are talking about was one of those threads that started off as one topic then went on a tangent, I don't think it was in the main subject title. But I remember a thread like that.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:42 AM

You're right. It started out about a teacher who did, or was accused of doing something wrong. It then turned into nothing but a thread about cameras in schools and classrooms. Not sure if that was the same thread about recording students "at will". It was, after all, summer, and that is already a blur. At least my mind isn't playing tricks on me.

17. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:02 AM

I know one teacher who did (and must've gone through all the necessary requirements around it beforehand), as I subbed in his class once. He told me that it not only was good for in case someone tried to accuse him, but that he used it a lot for looking back at how certain students were acting/reacting, and being able to better figure out how to help them be successful.

I wouldn't mind it, but I hate being in any video already, so it'd make me constantly self-conscious!

18. CherryOak

CherryOak Rookie

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:26 AM

I think you're thinking of the thread titled, "Accused of assault"

19. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:41 AM

If my school decided to go that route, (but I think the tech guys like to spend their budget on other stuff), I probably wouldn't pitch a fit or even get all that worked up, but I'm pretty sure I would wind up feeling rather self-conscious. So, if I had my druthers, I would say no.

Besides, it would be expensive, who on earth is getting paid to constantly monitor it, and what is wrong with these parents who would watch this stream for hours? I agree with @otterpop, that'd be major helicopter parenting.

otterpop likes this.
  20. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Not in favor. It sounds very Orwellian.

Backroads likes this.
  21. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:54 AM

Thank you! I was starting to think I was imagining it. :confused:

CherryOak likes this.