California Teaching Credential (CT)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by David Faubion, May 11, 2018.

?

Would you try to have your 1st grade students tutor each other?

1. Yes, if the two students consented and promised to report abuse and learn rather than chat.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I am the teacher and cannot take the risk of that untrained relationship.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. David Faubion

David Faubion Rookie

May 11, 2018

Dear all,

I have passed my CBEST and got my background security clearance.

How do I get a TC to teach as a substitute? Does the school district that hires me also credential me?

The CATC web site has FAQ about every other aspect of the TC except how the—not-quite-teachers—get one.

Thanks for viewing my post.

David Faubion

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

May 11, 2018

The district that you sub for doesn't credential you. The State of CA does (via the local County Office of Ed). Hope this helps.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 11, 2018

If you passed your CBEST and meet all the other qualifications, usually they send you a notice stating what is missing. In fact, you should have received something that said, “You meet the qualifications to teach grades Pre-K thru college and qualfied to work in the State of California. This certificate is good until ....”

My notice said I had a provisional certificate and I needed coursework in cultural awareness and multicultural/diversity education. It was called CLAD. And it gave me a date to complete this training to move up to standard certification.

I would call your local CDE ofc.

David Faubion likes this.
  5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 11, 2018

Ok here you go...

You need:

Passing scores on cbest
    Proof of student teaching
    Official transcripts showing BA/BS degree
    Fingerprints records
    Completed application for teaching

Send this to:
    Calif Commission on Teacher Credentialing
    1900 Capitol Ave.
    Sacramento,CA. 95821-4213

I would make 2 copies of everything and only send orignals of transcript, application and fingerprints. I’d also send it certifed mail.

When I applied for my IL cert, I walked into the Chicago office and did application in person . After all that hard work, I had to have that baby in my hands!!

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2018

If you already submitted your documents, you can go to this link to check the status:

https://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/req-teaching

"Requirements for the Preliminary Credential The preliminary credential is issued for a maximum of five years. If requirements for the clear credential are not completed before the expiration of the preliminary, the holder will be unable to teach in California’s public schools with that credential until those requirements are met and the document renewed."

I remember now...you also need a teacher induction program, or 2 other options for the cleared credential. I didn't get that far, because I moved.

7. David Faubion

David Faubion Rookie

May 16, 2018

Dear Master Pre-K,

Thank you for sharing your experience of the CTC process.

So then, after you got your CTC background clearance, the CTC sent you a notice about what you still had unfulfilled? And you recall that the CTC did so without your asking them for the info?

I see by way of the date that you joined A to Z Teachers Stuff that you applied for Californian teaching at least ten years ago. In ten years time, policy and practice at the CTC may have changed so that they now let applicant deduce from the chaos of info on the CTC site or ask for clarification.

David Faubion

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 16, 2018

Yes, you are right. I am sorry you are having so much trouble. I did give you the current website. CDE is making things so difficult now.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  9. David Faubion

David Faubion Rookie

May 17, 2018

Thank you again, Master of Pre-K, especially for your palpable sympathy and empathy.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 17, 2018

Your best bet right now is probably, as Young Teacher Guy suggested, to locate the county office of education (CDE, or DE for Department of Education, if you're in Orange County) in which you want to substitute teach. Long-term substitutes have to be credentialed, because they function as teacher of record during, say, an extended sick leave, but day-to-day substitutes have a permit that, from the state's perspective, requires only CBEST and bachelor's degree. I should point out that an individual district has the option of requiring that all substitutes be credentialed, and high-SES districts are likelier to do so because they can; the people at the local CDE can tell you, and the CDE's website might tell you, which districts do which.

11. David Faubion

David Faubion Rookie

May 17, 2018

Thank you, TeacherGroupie.
    So glad A to Z found me, born to be taught and reborn to teach with care.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 18, 2018

You are welcome. I recall my own dreadful experience at the DMV, with the two hour line outside in the heat (with an appointment:eek:), 40 minute wait for a test, only to be told, “Your license will come in the mail.” Are you serious?

Good luck Dave...

Last edited: May 18, 2018