California employment climate

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Jan 8, 2017.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2017

Hi all! I am from California but have been teaching down in Mexico since 2009. I might be looking to return to California in a couple of years. When I first came down here, it was verrrrrry difficult to find teaching jobs in California. I'm curious about what the situation is like now. Is it still difficult? TIA!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2017

It depends on where you're willing to go. Still lots of opportunities in the urban and rural districts, I think.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jan 8, 2017

There's much, much more opportunity than there was 8 or so years ago!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2017

I would be returning to the central coast.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2017

That's fantastic news! I am sooo glad to hear this. :)

7. Spedmistress

Spedmistress Rookie

Jan 8, 2017

For math, science, and special education the opportunities are good.

8. sportsguy

sportsguy Rookie

Jan 9, 2017

You can pick your district if you're a math or special education teacher.

The salaries look wonderful, but the high cost of housing, mandatory CalSTRS contribution, state income tax, required union dues, and required ObamaCare wipe it all out.

9. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 9, 2017

California does have opportunities as there is a shortage nationwide. However, I feel CA still is pretty competitive and there are many good high quality educators there. This makes advancement more difficult as you are competing with a larger more qualified pool of people. If you go to some other states which are in need of good educators, you could advance much more quickly if that is your end goal. I feel a person, regardless of career, should seek places to work where they will be in that 70% and up category of qualification and skill so you have more opportunities to advance and can have more choice. When you work in a highly competitive climate with limited experience, you settle for the lower end positions with less advancement opportunities and you are of less value to that organization because you can be replaced more easily. I seek out places where I am a valuable asset to the organization not easily expendable.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 9, 2017

I know nothing about the central coast, but I do know that it's basically the first time since I started teaching (2012) that it's possible to be the least bit picky about where you teach because jobs ACTUALLY EXIST!

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2017

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand why the assumption is that I am less qualified. When I return to California, I will have 10 years teaching experience. I have two teaching credentials and a master's in teaching. I'm teaching at an American school with US curriculum, and we use Common Core standards. I feel I can offer something that other teachers might not: a bicultural teaching experience.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2017

Lovely! It was very difficult at the time I left California. I was only able to find subbing, and short term teaching contracts.

13. anon55

anon55 Companion

Jan 10, 2017

If we would just abolish unions, income taxes and ObamaCare teaching in California would be wonderful

14. anon55

anon55 Companion

Jan 10, 2017

In California in the Central coast, San Jose and Bay Area there's lots of opportunities and I had no shortage of offers (and I teach Social Studies). BUT, let's be honest: they're not in the best districts. The vast majority of schools in CA are not great (most students with low reading levels and behavioral issues not taken seriously by admin etc). There is still and always will be a long line to get into highly rated districts like Mountain View, Palo Alto, etc. I think the only thing that changed is that the less stellar districts are now way easier to get into than before. I remember applying a few years ago, and it was impossible to get interviews at even the worst schools. So coming back from the private school, do not expect well behaved kids at grade level, you have to prepare yourself for the reality of public ed in California

Leaborb192 likes this.
  15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Habitué

Jan 10, 2017

If we stripped down unions and tenure and implemented merit pay, I wonder how many teachers would jump ship. That would open up jobs. In NY I talk with teachers who really shouldn't be there anymore. And before people attack me: we all know teachers who are just cruising until retirement. When I talked about the working conditions (pay) in AZ, a teacher said to me: "Ugh, I wouldn't even do it for that amount of money."
    Well somebody has to. Sadly I think there are too many teachers who are in the profession for the cushy lifestyle it can provide depending on your area. Most of my classmates now are really lazy and will be ineffective in the classroom, but will thrive regardless.
    I think GOOD teachers should be in the classroom and crappy ones should be ousted.

16. anon55

anon55 Companion

Jan 10, 2017

You make some good points but just to be clear my post about abolishing unions was sarcastic!

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2017

Yes, I am well aware of the differences. I did student teaching, tutoring and volunteer work in schools such as those.

anon55 and yellowdaisies like this.
  18. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Jan 11, 2017

Well I just reminded myself of why you should always read through all the posts before replying!

19. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Jan 11, 2017

I think all of this would make you very desirable in most CA schools!

yellowdaisies likes this.
  20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2017

Thank you!!! :)

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jan 13, 2017

I was going to say that you might have a good chance since you have a lot of teaching experience (even though there is some competition).