Calendar Time

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss W, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 26, 2007

What does everyone do for their calendar time?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 26, 2007

I have my calendar board by my carpet. I also have my student of the week take care of the actual calendar, what day it is, and what the weather is each day. I made the last two magnetic, so it was easy to put up and take down. Also, it won't pull out the set from the bulletin board (staples don't stay in very well when it's messed with every day). During Calendar Time, we do our calendar songs: Today is ....; Days of the Week, & Months of the Year. We then add a stick to the Place Value pocket chart to see how many days we have been in school. Also on the bulletin board with the calendar: :party: Birthday present (I use the bb set that has a present-box for each month; each month I put up a new present with a list of the names for that month who have a birthday), and our Math Words for the week. We then skip count different patterns. Next, we go over the Morning Message. If it is based around Language Arts, I might save it for that time. There is so much to do during Calendar time. I do more, but it is all based around what we are learning about at that specific time. Many times this is when I read a book that has to deal with what we are learning about in Math at the time. :reading:

4. amyveg

amyveg Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Those are some great ideas! I am coming from 1st grade to 2nd, so you did all that I did and more! I like the idea of going over math words and having a student of the week do it.

I always pulled out their attendance popcicle stick for each person to have a turn at calendar.

Oh, we do money too. Sometimes the # of days we have been in school. Sometimes the date, like today is the 26th, so we find many ways to make 26 cents. (1 quarter, 1 penny; 2 dimes, 1 nickel, 1 penny; etc)

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

I do so much during my calendar time:
    days of the week (today is, tommorrow will be, yesterday was), weather & weather graph for the month, patterns, daily deposit(money), what time is it Mr. Fox activity (time concepts), calendar question of the day, number sentences that make the date (ex. for July 28 we can do 18+10=28), reading of the daily schedule, pocket chart w/straws to show place value & # of days in school, etc.
    This year I will include a fraction activity(I don't know exactly how I will do this, but I know my kids need an everyday activity so they can grasp the concepts). And I might add a word problem a day & have the kids respond/answer it on post its & stick it to the MM board to discuss.

The most important part of our calendar time is including morning meeting along with it.
    Morning meeting: shared reading, shared writing, Peace Circle

6. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Does anyone do a poem with their calendar time? I heard that some do one every week and that the kids read it out loud together, which I think is great for developing fluency.

From what source do you get those poems?

7. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I copied this from the other thread.

CAlendar for me consists of a sheet they fill out as soon as they get to school (math message) it is on the overhead for them and they get right to work-takes about 10-15 min.
    I put up the number of days we've been in school (which everything then centers around), they fill in date, an equation to make the number of days (if it is the 27th day of school...19+8=27), place value so they would draw 2 tens and 7 ones, then show it another way-maybe 1 ten and 17 ones, roman numeral that = 27, money that = .27 They have to write .27, and 27 with a cent sign, plus show two ways using coins to make .27 (QPP, and DDNPP-I don't let them use more than 5 of any one coin). They do weather-I put up the temp on the tv, they write down in degrees F then look at their thermometer and write down degrees C. They track the wind and the sun/cloud (since we study weather). We also have a different pattern for each month-I cut out shapes to go with the month from the Ellison and we assign each color a letter, they hang in the room. So our SEpt. pattern will be AB. They write AB on their paper and circle what today is, that way they don't have ABABABABABABA written all across their paper. I also give them a problem of the day that ties in with our lesson. They are not allowed to ask me ?s about the math message in the a.m., they do as much as they can on their own, and we always take 10-12 min. to go over it right before math.

8. Youngteacher226

Jul 27, 2007

You probably read one of my posts about shared reading. That is what I do everyday for shared reading (although I may fit in a big book here and there). We do a poem a week, read it during shared reading on the chart paper then do different activities throughout the week with the poem.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

I don't do a poem during my calendar time, but I do teach a poem to the class as a clue to come to the carpet. Normally I choose a Shel Silverstein poem and write it on chart paper. I have it hanging up for everyone to see for the first month. We say it every time we go to the carpet. After a month most everyone has memorized it, and I take the poster down. The kids love to do it. The poem we recited when I had a Magic Tree House Theme: Tree House by Silverstein. This year I'm looking for the perfect Seuss poem.
    Anywho... Back to Calendar time.

10. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I gathered a lot of my ideas for calendar from other discussions here. I did "borrow" the poem of the week thing from YoungTeacher226--I can't wait to do that this year!
    Some of this may be 'edited out' as the year progresses and as I see how much time it actually takes with this particular group. I'm also not sure yet whether I'll be 1st or 2nd this year (I guess it's depending on enrollment) so I may add/delete some things accordingly.
    I decided not to do "morning work" this year to make time for more calendar activities.

Greet students with "Good Morning" in English and write it in another language on the board. (We are a military community in Japan, so a lot of students have lived/will live/were born/have a parent from other countries)

Students shake hands and repeat "Good Morning" in English and today's language to their neighbor on each side.
    Pull a new name out for today's helper. (I'm doing away with class jobs this year... wish me luck!)
    Look at it secretly and announce something about the name
    All students with a name that has that characteristic stand up
    Continue announcing characteristics and students sit down when the characteristic does not match their name.
    Congratulate the Helper of the Day and give him/her the "Helping Hound" button
    Helper of the day chooses to lead the Pledge of Allegiance or a Patriotic Song (We used to just do the pledge, but the class next door does patriotic songs and we could hear them--I was surprised at how many students said "Why can't we do that?")
    Put today's number tag on calendar: following established pattern
    Color a square on the monthly grid and use the colored squares to make a number sentence
    Fill in the days or dates on the Yesterday was, Today is, Tomorrow will be chart
    Color a square on the monthly weather graph
    Write today's temperature on the laminated Monday-Friday temperature chart. Ask classmates questions such as "is today's temp. < or > than Tuesday's?"
    Discuss the names for the number of the day on the board. Share more names for the number of the day. (Students add "names" as they walk in during the morning-after they have unpacked, but before the bell rings to start the day)
    Use coins to make the number of the day.
    Use coins to make the number of days of school.
    Add a straw/bead to "days of school" cup and write the number of days of school. Move 10 ones to the tens cup.
    Read the Question of the Day (with teacher's help if needed) and ask the students to raise their hand if their answer is "Yes". Write the tally marks on chart.
    Repeat the Question of the Day for "No" and "Sometimes".
    Ask "How many people ____?" Count the tally marks together
    Analyze "Estimation Jar" chart- "Most of the people think there are # _____s in the jar." "Nobody thinks there are # ____s in the jar" (students make their estimates after unpacking, while waiting for morning bell)
    Tell Estimation Jar answer
    Sit down.
    Read the Math Problem of the Day and model solving or ask volunteers to solve
    Spell Helper of the Day's name. Spell another word that begins with the same letter.
    Write both of these words on the board.
    Put bears on the scale to represent each letter of each word.
    How can we make the number of bears equal on both sides?
    Share answers and volunteer writes number sentence on board.
    Take and deliver lunch count
    Read the Poem of the Week:

Choose Word Wall Cheer and lead it for this week's words and 2 previous words (not on Friday).

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 27, 2007

I only have a ninety minute math block so I don't do a typical calendar time, but I sneak in calendar type activities here and there. We have an estimation station and graphing station that we share the results in whole group once a week. We also skip count the multiplication chart during our wiggle breaks. When the kids need a brain break in the middle of a lesson, we play "What time is it?" if the time is one we have learned. We look at the clock and draw and write down the time on slips of paper with an empty clock face on it and have a drawing for a small prize with the correct answers. On Mondays, we chant the months of the year and days of the week while the calendar helper is setting up the weekly calendar. The money helper counts out an amount each day and we count it together.

12. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

I do my calendar time as part of my Morning Meeting. I do the typical Responsive Classroom meeting model, and just add in all my calendar stuff as others do.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 29, 2007

[​IMG]

Simple, but effective.

14. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I plan on doing a poem of the week during calendar time. I just ordered an excellent book from Amazon that is called A Poem a Day for grades K-3. It was poems that deal with holidays, seasons, and other great stuff. There is even a poem for back to school! I also plan on doing calendar activities such as: today is...yesterday was...tomorrow will be, weather, the tally straws for number of days and also a money chart to show the number of days. I will discuss what is going on on that particular day at school and with the students. I think that calendar time is an excellent way to build a strong classroom community and reinforce concepts!

15. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I love it! Simplicity is sometimes the way to go, especially with el ed people who tend to like to...um...embellish things a bit :p :lol:

16. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Thanks for sharing your book of poems, CatieCat! I'm definitely going to order it for my room :)

And :thanks: to everyone for sharing what they do during calendar time. :2up: I knew it was something that I wanted to do, but during my student teaching my teacher didn't do it and I had no clue exactly what went on during typical calendar time. It was so nice to hear your ideas!

17. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

I've been attending a week-long conference on teaching Mathematics, and I found some things I am adding to my Calendar Time.

1. Number of the Day/Number Talk. Ex) 49. "What do you know about this number?" (You may have to model this for the children for the first couple of days, then they should be able to chime in, and eventually, take over.) Kids would probably say the following:
    -It's an odd number.
    -It's 4 tens and 9 ones
    -It's 10 more than 39 because they are in the same row.
    -48 + 1= 49
    -It's one less than 50 and one more than 48., etc.

-I am also going to add expanded notation to the calendar as well.

18. Youngteacher226

Aug 2, 2007

Where would you be picking this number of the day from? would you just pick a random number?

19. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I obviously can't answer for corps2005, but I thought I'd let you know my personal plan for number of the day---The first month or two of school, I'll use the calendar date as the number of the day. Then, (because I think we'd get bored doing 1-31 all the time!) I'll switch off between using the calendar date and the # of days we've been in school. I'll probably try to switch every day or every other day just so that way we're not doing consecutive numbers every day.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

I only use the days of the school year. You can add that amount of money each day, predict how much you'll have at the end of the year. You can use it for adding measurements in ozs. or grams. You can add time with it.

21. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

I use school day number, that way we get up to about 180.