Calendar Math

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by MissaG, Jul 27, 2007.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Are Calendar Math and morning meeting different? I want to do calendar math this year, but really can't think in more complex terms...I am stuck on the simple addition, subtraction, and patterns that are done in the early grades. I definitely plan on working the phases of the moon into it, but would love some good examples of calendar math at the third grade level. I have never done this at all, so if you are even willing to type up an entire calendar math session that you may have, it would help me in knowing where to start, what to say, etc...

Thanks!!

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

When I student taught in 3rd grade, my co-op teacher did time, but she had 3 clocks and the kids did the current time, the time it would be in California, and the time it would be in China (or something like that) to practice time zones. She also did patterns, but more complex patterns. She did money, they did line graphs, bar graphs, tally marks of the # of days in school each month. I can't think of any other activities right now but if I do, I post them.

4. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Well...I'm sitting here looking through my calendar math teacher's guide and let me tell you that grade three is much more in depth than just patterns and simple computations. In the beginning, you start with the calendar patterns, daily depositor, and computation, but then you add and increase the diffiiculty of elements as the year progresses. Some of the additional elements include the clock, graphs, coin counter, and measurement.

I am planning to do calendar math this year (I never did it when I taught 4th), but I know I won't be including all of the elements. Right now I'm leaning toward the calendar patterns, coin counter, graphing, and computations. Our standards have changed so most of the measurement skills that are in the teacher's guide have moved to 4th grade.
    I don't really have a good reason for leaving out the daily depositor- I'm just not crazy about it. :sorry:

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

I would love to include measurement in my calendar math for 2nd grade. What would you do for measurement? What type of measurement do you practice?

6. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Youngteacher,
    3rd does quite a bit of estimating and converting from one unit to another (based on the teacher's guide that is) Here's two examples from the book: Today, we added 10 cm to our measurement tape. Now, we have 150 cm or 1 m and 50 cm. If we continue addiing 10 cm a day, how long until we have two meters? Today, we added 1 oz to our measurement container. Now, we have 21 oz or 1 lb 5 oz.
    They also get into capacity (mL, liters, as well as cups, pints, quarts, and gallons). Fortunately, 3rd graders in GA now only have to do linear measurement. :D

7. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Is your teacher's guide something that you purchased or is it something provided by the school? I can't find anything that I can use to help guide me in setting this up and making sure that I include all important aspects.

8. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 27, 2007

It came with my calendar math kit. It was part of our last math adoption so all classrooms have them. The kits are all grade-specific and I've heard that they are pretty expensive.