CAFE and The Daily 5

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by WonderW05, Mar 20, 2015.

1. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Mar 20, 2015

Our district has told us that we will be implementing CAFE and The Daily 5 next year. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestion on how to make this a success in my class would be greatly appreciated. I have been given The CAFE book and have read up to Chapter 3. I don't have any idea what the Daily 5 is about and have researched one of the books online but I am hesitant on buying another book using my own money.:thanks:

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 20, 2015

CAFE and Daily 5 are by the same authors -- and actually the CAFE book is sort of a follow up to Daily 5 and assumes you have Daily 5 in place already in your room. I'd definitely buy Daily 5 as well -- both are really good for encouraging lots of practice in different areas of literacy, and the books are full of lesson ideas and resources for reading groups, lessons on reading skills, etc.

Daily 5 is essentially different areas of literacy for kids to practice -- Read to self, read to someone, work on writing, word work, and listen to reading. It can be very structured -- I've seen teachers use each one as a different center -- or relaxed -- my class last year, we just taught the kids the options available (we didn't have a listening station, so listen to reading wasn't an option), and they did whichever they wanted when they were done with their guided reading group.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 20, 2015

I run my room the relaxed way, and it works well for me and my students. Personally, I think your school should be purchasing the book for you if it is a mandate that you implement D5 in your classroom. Regardless, D5 is one of the most valuable teacher books I have purchased. It's one that I pull out at the beginning of the school year every single year. Although it has some theory in it, it's written in a very practical manner, with step-by-step instructions on how to implement D5. In my opinion, it's a book well worth the money.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

6. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 26, 2015

I've done daily five in 1st grade, but wondering you do itin 4th and 5th too? What sorts of things do you do with the teacher group?

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 26, 2015

I did it in 1st as well, and I've been looking into it for 5th. I am planning to do Daily 3 Math next year - actually, Daily 4, because I'm going to have Math with Someone, Math by Myself, Math Writing, and Math with Technology. I am not sure about ELA. It's trickier in 5th.

I did more of a reading and writing workshop format last year. I definitely want to continue with writing workshop. I've thought about Daily 5 in fifth, and I think it could work, but I also don't think I have enough time for all the choices. If you read what the sisters say about intermediate, they actually do advocate for 2 rotations a day in intermediate instead of 3+ in primary.
    This is what I was thinking of:
    Read to Self - every day

Read to Someone - nonfiction texts related to our SS/Sci content, maybe poetry...probably once a week.

Word Work - Words their Way or Greek and Latin roots. I actually read a post on their site (I have a membership) where they mentioned that in higher grades like 5th, you may not need to have everyone doing word work. That was something I had not considered. Some of my kids will do so well on the words their way preassessment that they may not need word work, or at least not much. Anyway, this would probably also be once a week.

Work on Writing - I would consider doing an extra work on writing station with more choices (letters to other students, blog posts, etc), but this could also be free writing in their writer's notebooks.

I wasn't going to do Listen to Reading in 5th because it's not needed, really - they get it with our daily chapter book read aloud. However, I did think of adding another choice - Response to Reading. This is where they would write reading letters to me and write written responses for their book club books to share in their book club meetings.

I've been turning all of this over in my mind a lot this week, which is why I have so much to say about it!

One thing I KNOW I want to do next year is CAFE. I've been reading the book and watching videos on the sisters' site (through the membership), and I just love it! Instead of having a designated teacher rotation like I did in 1st, I want to pull strategy groups and then have individual conferences the rest of the time. If you read the book, it really lays out exactly how to set that up, and it's not difficult! For example, you might have some kids working on inferring as their goal. You would pull those kids together in a strategy group and then have them work on that skill together. Sometimes the kids work in their own books to talk about how they used the strategy, and sometimes the teacher might bring a picture book to the group for everyone to work on together.

Anyway, just a lot I've been thinking about lately! I noticed the original post is a few months old, but I figured I'd respond anyway.