Buying things for classroom

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Kat03785, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

I was wondering what kinds of things you bought for your classroom using the money that the school gives you? I get $200 and I'm trying to think of what to get. I haven't really gotten to see much of my classroom so I know my needs will change once I get to take full inventory but I just wanted to ask.

I know I want to do some kind of take home binder and I need some pocket charts for calendar but I'm not sure if this is something I should buy or use that money for. Since I'm the only kinder teacher I don't really have anyone bounce ideas off of. I just want to get a feel for what others spent that money on. Thanks!

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2008

It will be my first year this upcoming year as well and I have yet to receive word whether or not I'll receive money to purchase supplies...I don't even know what is in my classroom, but what I do plan to purchase if it is not in my room is definitely a set of math manipulatives (pattern blocks, unifex cubes, etc.).

Pocket charts are definitly a must - a large pocket chart for poems, songs, riddles, smaller pocket charts for vocab words to be used during writing, a 100s pocket chart, and maybe even a calendar pocket chart if you do not have one already.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

If you're looking for pocket charts, check places like Target and Walmart before going to a teacher store. I bought 5 pocket charts at Target last for for $1 each. Teacher stores rob you!

I'm not sure how much I'm going to receive to spend, but I'm also planning on math manipulatives, and possibly a nice easel if the classroom doesn't already have one. Go for the pricey things with the school's money-the little stuff is easy to find at discount stores.

5. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

We had to spend $100 before we left during post planning. I bought construction paper, handwriting paper, paint, arts and crafts stuff (chenile stems, pom poms), big crayons, name tags, desk tags and some other cute things I thought I would need.

Most of my pocket charts and manipulatives I bought or took from my kids room.

Glue, crayons, and pencils I buy when they are on sale at walmart.

Check before you buy math manips. There was some in my room. It came with the Math series we use. I also had Reading manips that came with the reading series.

6. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

books, books, books. I also try to but a lot of "back-up" materials...things kids run out of. I am trying to find a small table, cheap, for my home center...and I really want to find some bear window clings.

7. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jul 14, 2008

TeacherKenny, I have seen a lot of window clings at different places around my town try Micheals, Target (both in the dollar sections) and hobby lobby.

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

thank you~I am going to start looking soon... I live in a small-er town and I have to go out of town to go to cool craft stores...

9. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I absolutely love having Tap 'n Glue lids on my glue bottles. THey don't waste glue, and we don't have gobs and gobs of glue all over the papers. (No matter how many times you tell a 5 year old "one dot not a lot" they don't always have the small motor skills to do that) so tap 'n glue lids are great! (They are less than a dollar each, and I know they can be found at like discount school supply dot com)

10. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

GoehringTeaches - thanks for the "tip"...get it! haha :lol: but seriously... - Do these stay securely on, or can they be a choking hazard?
    I will have to research them...thanks again

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 15, 2008

I try to buy mostly center items with my money from the school. I buy file folder games for different subjects, different learning mat games ad things that fir into my centers. I love having centers but they have to be changed up as the kids master new skills and that happens rapidly in kindergarten.

12. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Not sure what I will purchase with the money from the school this year. It will depend on what they give us. We don't always get the same amount. Last year I purchased a few books, stories and homework type books. I also purchased borders, sentence strips, dry erase and sharpie markers.

13. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

I have tap glue lids and I love them. They stay on tight. You just need to model the correct procedure on how to use them. At the beg of the year some of my kinders twisted the caps so the glue spilled out onto the table.

14. ashleylaurenstl

ashleylaurenstl Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

I would try to get into your classroom so that you can take a look around. Also before buying anything big I would ask other teachers in your building if they have anything they are not using. I have a like a million pocket charts and would be willing to lend them to new teachers in my building. Target and Walmart have cheap ones but I haven't seen calendar ones their. Also before buying manipulatives I would try collecting things, buttons, milk caps, yard rocks, marbles, etc. or put these items on a classroom wish list.

I would start hitting garage sales and goodwills if you have them. I have gotten a ton of games and book for very little. Even if they are missing a few pieces you made find another one missing pieces..combine them and you have a complete set. One trip out to garage sale I found 4 Hi-Ho Cherryo's. I bought them all for under $4 and between them all I had 3 complete games. I also found almost the entire set of Junie B. Jones at Goodwill.