But, I don't WANT to!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ku_alum, Oct 4, 2010.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 4, 2010

I don't have it in me tonight to grade these essays. I don't want to do it.

I feel guilty, but I really just want to go to bed.

No point to this post. Just sayin' ...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2010

Sometimes we just need to get it out there!! I'm sure an extra day not graded won't hurt!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 4, 2010

I'm thinking I will do the reading for my graduate class and call it a night. :) Something tells me this pile of essays will be there tomorrow. I'm teaching English Comp this semester, the students are complaining "another essay!" and inside I'm thinking, "and I get to grade 50 more with each assignment!"

I do love my job. But, tonight ...

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2010

I get ya! They don't understand that they only have to write one essay while you have to grade everyone's! Have a great, relaxing night!

6. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Oct 4, 2010

I hear you! I just got done grading a whole set of persuasive essays! Every paper, about halfway through my grading, I get the the point where I think, "WHY do I assign them these papers?!?" Hope your grading goes quickly!

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 4, 2010

Ugh, I don't want to check the rest of my math tests either. I'm almost half done, and I just can't work up to it.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 4, 2010

I'll grade, you guys come here and finish laundry, vacuum the floors, and plunge out the clogged toilet....

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 4, 2010

Hugs, kc and mm both.

mm, how clogged is the toilet? Stopped cold, or just slow?

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 4, 2010

It's improved from stopped cold to slow....I have a crappy plunger (sorry, couldn't resist).

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 4, 2010

Ah. And are you fairly certain that there's nothing slowing it down that shouldn't be in a toilet?

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 4, 2010

I'm fairly certain...as I know what was happening when it clogged....my tummy was not at all happy with me yesterday.....*coughcough*. That, and my toilets are those low pressure ones that don't work half the time anyway.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 4, 2010

I have spent every minute at school either in a meeting or teaching. 'Prep time' is a joke-we don't have it. Even my lunches are taken up with meetings or lunch duty with the kids. I'm there until 6 each evening, but nothing can get done. With an hour commute each way, I've had to say 'another night' to just about every idea and activity I have on my to-do list. I'm all about passion for our jobs, but when I get zero time to work while on the clock, I'm very reluctant to use the 2.5 hours I have with dh each evening on schoolwork as well. I hate it-my stack of 'stuff' is much too large for comfort.

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2010

ku, I'm with you. I have about 20 more short essays to read, and they have to be done by Tuesday so I can put the grades in for the quarter progress report, but it didn't happen last night! My seniors are taking a test today, so I'll do it during those periods.

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 5, 2010

Just for fun, every so often just give them a sticker for doing the job! See what they say!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2010

Lauren (in grade 11) was sitting at the table last night doing her homework, enjoying the scratch-and-sniff sticker her teacher had put on her quiz! She said that you are never too old for a sticker!

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 5, 2010

If it wasn't against the rules, I'd take a picture of my computer monitors at work. During training, every time we got above a certain score on the various skills assessments, my boss would print out the assessment and attach a little animal eraser on them. I immediately glued them all to the edges of my monitor.