Bus driver arrested on drink driving charges

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mmswm, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 3, 2011

This happened yesterday. The transportation department called us this afternoon (a recorded message) and I swear it took me about 30 minutes to realize that it was NOT my kids' bus. My kids' route is one number away from this bus route, and they go to a different elementary school than the one this bus was going to. I suddenly feel a lot more leery about sending my kids to school on the bus.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/307300/

And, if you read the whole article, the "one minor accident" mentioned in the article was my kids' bus, though it was at the stop right before my kids get on, so my kids weren't on it when it happened.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2011

Thank god that the children weren't on the bus! Are your kids on a bus that is through Valley or the school district, mm?

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 3, 2011

Their bus is operated by Valley Transportation. I've been unhappy with them in the past, mostly because the drivers have a distinct lack of behavior management skills.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 3, 2011

OMGosh! That is absolutely horrible! There is so much trust that we have to have as parents, and when someone breaks that trust...wow.

We just let a bus driver go because he was stopping at the local gas station with a van full of kids, and falling asleep while the kids were inside buying pop and candy. They couldn't wake him. Parents started to call, worried.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2011

Wow--kc. What is going on with bus drivers these days....

mm--I wonder if the school will employ more of their own drives or Valley with use stricter hiring policies or check in policies with the drivers.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 3, 2011

Actually, they've been considering contracting out more of their routes, and maybe even all of them to the bus company. I know that all the parents in my neighborhood, and many parents from other Valley routes showed up to that meeting to show our displeasure with that possibility. The drivers they hire are not the best when it comes to behavior management; probably because they get no training in that aspect of the job.

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 4, 2011

A few years ago, a Columbus school bus driver was stopped for making an illegal turn. The police stopped him and found that he had a syringe filled with cocaine on him!

It turned out that the contracted bus company was not doing proper background checks. That company decided that evening not to run their routes the next day. The Columbus City Schools officials waited until almost 6:00 am the next morning to cancel all classes. What a mess! It was such a last-minute decision that involved over 60,000 students!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 4, 2011

Hopefully this might lead to making your local bus services even safer, MM. I'm much more confident in Columbus' service since the incident GlendaLL mentioned resulted in a crackdown. Maybe it'll do the same for yours.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 4, 2011

what a scary situation mm

hopefully your local school board will really look into their bus transporation

11. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 4, 2011

It's inexcusable for a bus driver to drive while under the influence! :mad: My P asked me to drive a bus one afternoon after school and I explained I couldn't drive that day because I had a lot of allergy medicine earlier that day to control a severe sinus attack. While I probably WOULD have been fine (the medicine was starting to wear off), I wasn't about to take a chance on driving a bus while even the LEAST bit impaired.

It would be easy enough for the driver to pass the background check and drug test. As long as he did not have any DWI charges before and had not been drinking the day before the drug test, he would have passed easily. I DO give the company credit for firing the driver immediately after this incident.

I also agree that the driver's training should include at least some behavior management.

12. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Feb 4, 2011

Wow what a terrible story. I hope this does not tarnish all bus drivers as a vast majority are responsible drivers.