Burnt Out in Preschool

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ChildWhisperer, Sep 26, 2016.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Sep 26, 2016

So this is my 7th year of teaching and it's only the 2nd week of school this year. I'm just not feeling it at all this year. I think I am just DONE with preschool. I loved it (Pre-K) at my last school, but last summer, I moved a couple hours south, decided to keep the same grade level (but added 3-year-olds into the mix. It's mixed 3-5yo now. Previously, I only did 4-5yo Pre-K), and realized how different it was down here!
    These kids are so far behind (or maybe my last school was so far ahead??).
    They are still learning colors, shapes, letters, numbers, name recognition, etc. The concepts they teach toddlers & 2-year-olds in my hometown!
    I think to get back to the level I'm used to teaching, I have to do 1st or even 2nd Grade here.
    This is my second year at my current job. Last year, I thought I just had to get used to it. It wasn't so bad so I said I'd stay another year. This year is worse. Maybe I have to "get used to it" again after a long summer break. But it's probably not good for the kids or my assistant or even for me if I get frustrated about everything so easily. I definitely don't want to leave in the beginning of the school year, but I don't know how I"m going to last until June!
    Thoughts??

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Sep 26, 2016

My thought is... It's pre-school and Pre-K. Many, if not all of these children are having their first exposure to school ever. How can they be "behind?"

Backroads likes this.
  4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 26, 2016

I'm going to answer your question in 2 different parts.

First, preschoolers working on colors, shapes, lettters, numbers, etc. is completely developmentally appropriate. Those are all concepts that are listed on my state's early childhood standards, and hopefully on yours as well. You might benefit from not seeing the children as "behind", but thinking of it more as an opportunity to teach them the foundational skills they will need to be successful.

Second, are you currently under contract? I wouldn't recommend leaving mid-year (or beginning of the year). I would finish out the year, get a great recommendation, and search for K-2 positions next year.

Backroads likes this.
  5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Sep 26, 2016

You're right, they're not "behind"
    They're just below the level I'm used to. The kids where I used to teach are all advanced, so it seems like my current kids are behind. I just have to keep reminding myself that. It's still frustrating when you're used to this age group knowing much more