bumping up grades?/

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Miticageta21, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Miticageta21

Miticageta21 Rookie

Jan 3, 2013

This is my second year teaching. Seniors especially, but not only ask me to bump their quarter/semester grades at the end of semester/quarter. They think it is so normal and that I am unfair if I don't. It sounds like a lot of teachers bump their grades, if they are close(less than 1/10 of a point let's say) to the next letter grade. The administration totally supports this. They already have in place a grading system, where we cannot give a student less than 50on a test(not quiz) and less than 60 for the quarter. Is this something common in other schools? This is the only school I ever taught at.
    Thanks

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Fanatic

Jan 3, 2013

I don't bump up grades because they can do extra work throughout the quarter to improve their grades.

If I didn't offer that then I would consider it.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2013

I think it's fairly common to bump grades that are within half a percent of the next letter grade. For example, if a kid earned 89.5% in my class, I will go ahead and give her an A. I rarely bump grades beyond that circumstance, but it has been known to happen.

If you already have extra points built in to your overall grade, then I don't think you should do too much bumping. Minimum Fs, lots of make-up and redo opportunities, extra credit....If you have any of those in place, then the overall grade is probably already somewhat inflated. Don't inflate it more.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2013

This is my policy as well. There are no opportunities for extra credit in my class, so I'm willing to round up at .5%.

6. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jan 3, 2013

I also round if the student is within .5%, but only on the semester grades, not the progress reports.

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jan 3, 2013

I round up within the .5 (sometimes a tad beyond that), but only based on the kid's effort over the course of a semester. If a kid is on the borderline but has been seriously trying, and merely struggles... I will usually round up to the A-, B-, or whatever. However, if a kid has a dozen zeros and suddenly asks me to round a 59% up, then I won't do it. It's all a matter of effort on the part of the kid, in my mind.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2013

Before my school switched to a weighted four-point system, I always rounded up for students who showed an effort. Now my system is letters instead of numbers, but I may round a high B+ manually to an A-. It's such a small difference, but it means the world to a student who has put in the effort.

9. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jan 3, 2013

:yeahthat:
    My thoughts exactly!

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2013

I agree- I always round up.
    The only time I will bump more than 0.5% is if they are still close (less than 1%), participate, try their best, and that one grade will keep them off of A/B honor roll. I will bump their C to a B.

11. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jan 4, 2013

I always round up for grades 0.5% or higher. It has never occurred to me to do it any other way. I guess I think of the final grade in terms of a whole number, so I just automatically round it up.

I will occasionally bump up a grade as much as a point if the student has put in effort and their grade is borderline.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2013

I don't mind bumping up grades when the kid really deserves it.

But they certainly shouldn't expect any teacher to do it!

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 4, 2013

Typically, I round up anything that is .5 or higher as a general rule. However, from time-to-time I will round up a .3 or .4 if the student put forth a large amount of effort.

14. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jan 4, 2013

If a 55 is my highest average at the end of a marking period, that's my "A." So, a 30, 40-point bump? You betcha!

Gotta have the grades plot into that "bell curve" that they want for each class. Otherwise, you get called in for a "conference" with an administrator.

:lol:

15. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Comrade

Jan 4, 2013

This is so depressing...

16. Miticageta21

Miticageta21 Rookie

Jan 4, 2013

Excpet at my school, 70% of students or more are on the HR, which is smth I don't think it is normal.

17. Miticageta21

Miticageta21 Rookie

Jan 4, 2013

wow,, that's sad and WRONG. I grew up in a different country and things like that didn't happen at the schools I went to. I am sure it happened at other school, but the grade you got at my school that;s what it was. The effort didn't matter...if you wanted a 100 instead of 99, then you put more effort. That's the the way everybodu accepted. As a matter of fact, admission to HS was based on an exam grade and there were people who had 98.87 and didn't get admitted in the school/class they wanted to go in, because the minimum was 98.90. So, I have a very hard time rounding up/bumping my students grades, although everbody else seems to think it's normal, so I have to be more flexible with certain things and kind of understand how teachers think in this country.Otherwise, the students think I am unfair and the truth is that I really care about them, but they don't see it that way..I simply wanted them to be prepared for college. The thing is that, maybe bumping up might be commmon in coleges here also..I wouldn't know. Thanks all for your input!

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2013

70% is way too high!

I had 4 kids on A/B honor roll and 0 on A honor roll last marking period. I will have a few more this time around, but I doubt it will be more than 6. (I have 28 kids.)
    Of course, a B is 85-92% in NC, so it is a bit harder to achieve.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Jan 5, 2013

Our grade book automatically rounds up to the next letter grade at .5.

But if the kid really worked their butt off and really, really tried, I'll bump that .4 up. I remember the pain of having a 93.4 and getting a B on my report card :(

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Jan 5, 2013

I have two different phases of a course in the same class at the same time. While I give some differentiation, they receive basically the same instruction. They do different activities to show they know it. However, they are on different grading scales. The honors students are on a 10-point scale, and the regular students are on a seven-point scale, roughly. So the lowest A for an honors student is a 90 and the lowest A for a general student is a 93. The lowest D for an honors student is a 60 and the lowest D for a general student is a 68. (This is a state law.) I am much more likely to bump up a grade in general because I was told to "teach to the top" so I'm teaching information in general that is really at an honors level. If a student in general phase has a 67, or even a 66.5 or above, but has done all of their work, I'm sometimes able to find them some points so that they can be passing. They likely would be passing if they were in honors.

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Aficionado

Jan 6, 2013

I will bump up a 68 to a 70 (F to a D). Very rarely I will bump up a 76 to a 77 (D to a C). I will not "give" a B or an A. A and B students are supposed to be above average. Above average students don't need help getting grades. They earn them on their own.

The exception would be if there is an incident in a child's life that may have momentarily impacted his grades. A sports injury that required surgery and resulted in a lower-than-normal grade on the following test. A beloved pet dies the night before a big test. If an A student gets a D for a grade because of something like that, and the resulting semester grade is a 92, I'm likely to bump it up.

I do not offer extra credit to bump up grades though. I do NOT believe in A's for Effort. An extra credit project that would truly prove that a student had mastered a semester's worth of content would take hours upon hours for me to grade. I am not going to do that to myself.

I am in the minority at my school, however. There is a teacher there that will not give a zero to any students. At all. So if a student refuses to do an assignment (or take a test) he will be marked exempt. We share a student. In my class the student has a 45. He has refused to make up tests that he missed when skipping class. Even though he was skipping, I've offered him make-ups. He expects me to just mark him exempt. He would have a C if I did. In the other class he has a B. He has only one grade in there, an in-class worksheet. All of the other grades, all tests and quizzes, he has no grade and has been marked exempt. Drives me batty.