Bummed out again

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peregrin5, May 10, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

May 10, 2012

I applied to a Teacher Researcher program over the summer, and I thought I had a good chance: glowing letters of rec, 4.0 GPA, Leadership Scholarships, etc. but I guess either they were turned off by my undergrad GPA (even though I've changed since then), my essays, or maybe there were just too many candidates and not enough mentors.

In any case, I didn't get in, and there goes my summer plans, the research experience I've always wanted to get at a National Lab, and 5000 dollars I was going to use to pay off my student loans for my teaching credential.

Now I have no idea what to do with myself this summer. I've promised myself that I would spend every summer getting research experience, or doing actual science fieldwork, but it doesn't seem like its happening this summer.

I just wanted to mope about it. Thanks. Mope.

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 10, 2012

I'm sorry :(

Is there anything else you can do this summer? And can you apply again for next year?

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

May 10, 2012

I can apply again next year, but I was just so looking forward to it this year, and there's no guarantee I will get in next year either.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

May 10, 2012

Look into other fellowship opportunities.

6. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

May 10, 2012

I wouldn't take it personally, especially if you had that terrific of an application. Often times, like you mentioned, they do have a mass of applicants for very few openings. I'm almost certain that the people they did chose weren't necessarily more qualified than you were, but probably just had that one extra thing that bumped them to the front of the line.

Rejection always sucks. In this case though I really do think it was a case of too many prospectives gunning for too few positions.

It happens a lot. I'm sure you'll find something else!