bulletin board ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by jnation, Jul 11, 2005.

1. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 11, 2005

I'm starting my first teaching job in August. What are some good bulletin board ideas for the beginning of the year in a 3-5 grade classroom. I like the idea of centering the classroom around a particular theme (that would change frequently) to use with interdisciplinary units and hopefully teach my students to generalize among subjects (It's an ED/BD classroom). I thought about possibly making a large spaceship with the theme "Blast off into the new year" but couldn't decide if this would be too young for them. Then on the first day of school they would complete some sort of theme related project telling about them that we would hang up around the class.

My main concern is that alot of my ideas may be too juvenile for my students, especially considering the age difference among them. What are some good age-appropriate bulletin board ideas for the beginning of the year and throughout the year.
    Thanks in advance...I need all the help I can get!

3. hayleysmom

hayleysmom New Member

Jul 11, 2005

How about a jungle? Theme could be "Swing into a New Year" with monkeys swinging on yarn vines?
    I also have found that you don't want to have to change bulletin boards every month. I have a bulletin board for each SEASON. I just come up with some cute saying and use a pad of predesigned paper to put student's names on. For example" "An UnbeLEAFable Class" with leaves with names on them.

4. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

Hi, jnation!

I think "Blast Off to School" sounds very appropriate for grades 3-5, as does "Swing Into a New Year". :)

You'll probably want a bulletin board or two to display student work throughout the year. Some headings that I've seen suggested by other teachers on this forum might be:

Picture Perfect Work (die-cut cameras and/or photos of your students)
    Super Student Work (superheroes)
    We Do Great Work! (photos of students)
    (Name of school) Kids Do Great Work! (your school mascot)
    Check Out Our Great Work! (gingham, or checkmarks w/ big pencil)
    Cool Kids' Work (penguins)
    We Really Shine or Super Star Work (stars)
    Toadally Terrific Work (toads/frogs)
    Doggone Good Work (dogs and bones)
    Our Work Rocks! (rocks and minerals)
    Sea What We're Working On (sea creatures)

Last year I bought a small, die-cut notepad at K-Mart that looks just like a sandwich. I had the heading "Get Ready for a Scrumptious School Year" and had each student's name written on a paper sandwich fixing, like tomato slices, Swiss cheese slices, ham, lettuce, and slices of bread. I received several compliments on that board, and it was SO easy to make! Another year I'd gotten a 3-foot cardboard Dole banana from my grocery store and used the heading "Mrs. ____'s Bunch" and made small paper bananas with each child's name on them.

Also, I read somewhere that blues, greens, and purples are soothing, relaxing colors, so I use those as my bulletin board backgrounds, along with some light yellow. I use "generic" multi-colored borders that stay up all year (rainbows, ABCs, character traits, gingham, etc.) Seasonal decorations are on our classroom door. It's just easier for me that way.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

~Jaicie :)

5. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 11, 2005

Great ideas! Kids at the upper elementary level love to make bulletin boards, so maybe you could 'save' one board for them either as a reward or as a class job once a month or every couple of weeks. :) I agree that boards do not have to be changed all the time to be effective. Long term theme boards which are interactive or help with classroom procedures are very effective. (Ex. writing process, parts of speech, grading policies, classroom rules, class news or photos, center organization, etc.)

One trick I use (that I've seen others here also use) is to use material instead of paper for the backgrounds. Wal Mart has material remnents for $1-$2 a yard. They are usually in a 48" width and are so bright and colorful. You can get solids, patterns, seasonal, and all types of textures. They are so much easier to put up than those big sheets of butcher paper, and best of all, they never fade and are so easy to store until you need them again! :D

6. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

How do you make the fabric stay up?

7. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 11, 2005

I used fabric last year and it was wonderful!! I just stapled it just like I would paper.

8. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

What about if you were wanting to put to it on the outside of the door? What do you think? THANK YOU!!!

9. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 11, 2005

I have only used it on cork bulletin boards. Maybe for a door or wall display, you could use the wide library tape and then tape the border over it....? Might work. :)

10. divey

divey Companion

Jul 12, 2005

Just to add a couple of ideas to yours.....

I use "Red Hot Chili Papers" with a cowboy/chili pepper them for displaying student work
    and
    I have used purple balloons (each with a student's name on it) and green curling ribbon to creat a really cute 3D beginning of the year bulletin board that is labeled "Mrs. Ivey's "Grape" bunch. I staple the curling ribbon to the bb to keep the inflated balloons from bobbing around. ALSO....don't put this bb together too soon.....one year I put mine up a few day's before Open House, and even though they had deflated quite a bit, they still, luckily, looked more "grapey" than raisin-y" :rolleyes:

11. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 12, 2005

I am going to do "Look Who's Hanging out in 4th Grade". I am going to make die-cut Tshirts with their names on them and let them decorate the tshirt (either at open house or the first day of school - which ever comes first). I will have the bulletin board decorated with two trees and yarn strung across so I can "hang" the shirts with clothes pins. The rest of the bb will have a picket fence, a sun, some flowers...

12. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 12, 2005

I am going to do a Meet the Scientist bulletin board- very simple and can be used all year. I have also made another bulletin board titled "You've Got Mail." I have stapled envelopes on the board and hopefully the students will write letters to each other, me and our class pet Charley. The class pet is going to write the students too- a typing turtle. I hope this works.

I love your ideas- very smart!

13. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 6, 2005

I use this idea every year and the kids love it!

Materials: large brown bulletin paper, green tissue paper, various colors of construction paper, old newspaper, scissors, stapler, student help, tin foil (optional)

This bulletin board is great for discussing differences/diversity and multicultaralism within the community. In college I learned that the U.S. is no longer considered a melting pot, because this implies that everyone has melted together and is essentially the same with the same ideas. This is not true. We are more like a tossed salad, all special, unique parts that when put together make a better salad.
    After discussing this idea, form a large bowl (I usually make it about 4 feet long) out of the brown bulletin board paper. Make lettuce from the green tissue paper, and ask students to make vegetables, croutons, eggs, etc. (discuss what kinds of items are found in salads) from the construction paper. Hang the brown paper on the board so it is puffed out-put crumpled newspaper in to help keep it puffed. Staple the lettuce and other items in and around the bowl. Hang a sign that says "Our community 'saladbrates' our differences" along with an explanation like above. It is fun to make a fork and spoon from tin foil and have them "tossing" the salad pieces.

14. shrinkingviolet

shrinkingviolet Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

You might be able to have things stick to the door with good, heavy quality double-sided tape. Also, 3-m makes those easily removed hooks with sticky on the back of them. Perhaps you could make fabric loops and hang them from those? Hope this helps.

15. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

Something I use to make things stay up for a long time is the gray tabs that are made by 3-M. I can't remember the name of them, but I use them a lot in my classroom. Not only are they very sticky and work really well, but they are easy to remove.

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 7, 2005

wait until tomorrow at the least to make your decison on the "blast off into space theme" if the space shuttle lands successfuly then I would pick that, but if it doesn't with the problems it has been having, it might not make a good theme.