Building a Teacher's Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Preservice@USC, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preservice@USC

Preservice@USC Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

I seriously need to build my professional wardrobe. Since I have begun my practica, I have found myself struggling to get dressed on the mornings that I have to attend a school. I have some dress pants and shirts, but I always feel overdressed. On the other hand, I cannot even consider wearing my jeans and Rainbow flip flops, but that is mostly what I have (I am a college student). I want to look nice and I want the teachers that I work with to respect me and think highly of me. How do I find that inbetween? How do teachers expect/want their student teachers and practicum students to dress? What are some good basics for an Elementary Education major who is in the process of building a professional wardrobe?

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 7, 2007

I would suggest seperates. Skirts (around knee length) and blouses usually work well.

4. annafish

annafish Companion

Jun 7, 2007

You want to look your age while still looking professional. Ann Taylor Loft has some nice pieces you can mix. They also have awesome sales if you go at the right time!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2007

Kohls also has a lot of stuff in a variety of styles. Their website is great, and shipping is frequently $5, no matter what you buy. Sign up and they'll send you notices about sales.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 7, 2007

I like New York and Company for nice pants, and they have some nice basic tops, too. You can typically find coupons in magazines like Cosmo, and they have frequent sales, too.

7. Murphy1966

Murphy1966 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

If you have a tight budget - try consignment shops. I've found excellent things there. Be prepared to find nothing, also. It just depends on your size and what's in the store at the time you shop.

I think anything tasteful is fine. Be comfortable, however, because you never know what you are going to be doing. I had one class where I was asked to sit in the floor with students and help with a project. Khaki's and a cotton top are no-fail teacher-duds. :)

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2007

Whatever it looks like... you want something WASHABLE with POCKETS. Trust me.

Unfortunately, I haven't found much that fits both. I have some nice washable skirts and tops, but mostly no pockets and I wish I had more.

9. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jun 8, 2007

It depends on the dress code and atmosphere at the school. Look around at the teachers. Do they wear professional dress? My first school was very casual. Jeans and flip flops were allowed (no t-shirts). The school I am at now has a younger staff that tries to push the envelope, so the dress code is more strict. Check out the attire of the teachers around you, and try to stay with that. Khaki pants and black pants are always good to have. You can wear them with anything, just switch out the tops. Ross and TJ Max have good deals.

10. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Jun 8, 2007

When I was doing my practicas, we were always told that it was better to overdress than underdress. However, I remember that I wanted to dress the way that the other teaching staff did so that I didn't stick out anymore than I already felt I did! I was fortunate to find a ton of clothes during student teaching at Old Navy, but that was in the Fall. I have since had no luck there because they think everyone can wear those long shorts to work :rolleyes: I did find some nice pieces at Target, JC Penney, J.Jill(a bit on the pricer side), and Kohls. Good Luck!

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2007

I have black and khaki pants from Kohl's that I interchange with button up shirts, sweaters, and blazers. I invested in some nice black and khaki loafters as well as 2 pairs of Dansko clogs ( a must for anyone on their feet everyday-worth the money). Then, you can accessorize. Boring, but it's professional and when you're on a budget, it works.

12. Preservice@USC

Preservice@USC Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

Wow, everyone has been really helpful. So khakis, and knee-length skirts, and cotton tops or blouses. And Danskos - I have been saving up for those, actually! Thank you for mentioning shoes, by the way, Mable, because I had been wondering about that, too. Thank you all for helping me out, your time and thought is greatly appreciated.

13. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

When I did my practicums and student teaching experiences, my school asked us to dress "professionally." Even if teachers were allowed to wear polos, we were to wear . . . well, as a male, shirt and ties. Women would wear their respective "professional" attire (as most have commented on).

I did dress down for dress days (jeans and button-down or polo, so still nice). As an aspiring educator, look professional as often as possible--to send the message to your cooperating teacher, your students, the administrators at the school you're observing/teaching at, and your School of Education that you are serious about the profession.

Once you student teach and get a feel for the school, you may play around a bit, I suppose if your cooperating teachers don't mind/care, but otherwise, stay professional/conservative.

(*shudders at the fact I mentioned being conservative...*)

14. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 8, 2007

One more type of shoe that you might want to consider putting on your list to take a look at. I bought a pair of Nurture short wedge heel shoes at Dillard's in black and they felt SOOOO good on that I went back and got another pair just like them in medium brown. It was even better when I got to the register and they were 40% off.
    As far as the clothing is concerned you can usually find sales at almost all stores that are really good. I got lucky at Macy's and got a 60 dollar silk blouse for 10 bucks, so just look around and you can usually find a very good professional wardrobe for a very small amount of money.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2007

Also, keep an eye on the sales. The odds are good that you'll want at least one "interview suit" sometime in the near future.

16. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 8, 2007

My staples include: Button-down shirts in long-sleeve, 3/4-sleeve, and short-sleeve styles, and short-sleeve sweaters. I also have a pair of nice pants in black, brown, gray, and pin-stripe. I also have dressy capris in tan and black. I also wear a lot of A-line skirts that fall just below the knee.

17. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

My mom always told me you can't go far wrong with nice black slacks. A wardrobe staple!

18. Preservice@USC

Preservice@USC Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

Thank you all so much for all the help! I really want to know what teachers want to see when they have a practicum student!

One thing I have noticed, though, is that I dont think anyone has mentioned dresses. Are dresses not a good idea?

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 8, 2007

Dresses are fine. The only problem is that they are not as interchangable. For example, with black pants you could wear them twice a week (or more) with different shirts and no one would really notice. With a dress, it is memorable and can't be changed up as easily. On another shoe note, Dr. Sholls gel inserts can really help some shoes work for school :)

20. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

That's funny, you just described most of my professional wardrobe. The rest are sleeveless shells, sundresses, and suit jackets.

I also have some funky jeans for "jeans/denim day" and "school logo polos" for when I have to go into the office on a weekend and if anyone spots me, I am casual enough to do grunge work, but look professional enough for a casual denim day at school.

21. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

The other thing with dresses is if you have to get on the floor, and they need to be long to cover any peeping or inquiring young minds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.