Boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh.... boy? Did I mention boys?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

I have LOTS of boys this year.

Eleven of them so far, and oh, yeah... five girls. Five extremely nice girls whom I already know and probably several very kind boys... but my goodness, they're loading me up with boys.

I don't mind. :lol: I just remember the year I had a very similar situation, though it was eleven girls and four boys. If you put those two classes together, we'd be in business here. :cool:

Has anyone had a similar situation?

3. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 30, 2008

wow a class of 15!! I would *love* that class :)

I had a larger amount of boys this year: 13 boys and 9 girls. But, let me tell you, it was a PHENOMENAL year :) I will take quiet boys over loud obnoxious "hiss fit" girls anyday :)

(Just not the loud obnoxious boys!)

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008

The year I had a disproportionate number of boys was the best year I'd ever had. They were a good group. I think it was something like 14 boys and 7 girls.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

I heard these boys are mostly very respectful, but it's just hilarious in itself that I have several after one year where I had very few.

Let's see..
    Year 1- 10 boys, 8 girls.
    Year 2- 4 boys, 11 girls.
    Year 3- 9 boys, 12 girls.
    Year 4- 8 boys, 11 girls.
    Year 5- 11 boys, 5 girls (so far).

I think it'll be awesome. :)

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008

That's a lot of girl-heavy years!

7. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I had 15 girls and 17 boys last year...
    This year I'm getting 13 boys and 7 girls. YAY 20!!!!

8. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 30, 2008

OMG 15 girls and 17 boys??!!!
    Can you even /HAVE/ that many kids in one class?
    I think the limit is 25 in TN

9. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I feel you with the boys, so far I've got 11 boys and 7 girls. I think I'll get 2 or 3 more and I'm hoping they'll be girls to even up the score.
    The last time I had a heavy boy class (12 boys, 7 girls) I ended up looking for a new job at the end of the year!! They were such a tough group and my P did not support me at all so I got out of there!

10. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

One year while teaching K-4 I had 15 boys and 6 girls....and I only had an aide for one and a half hours.
    Two years ago teaching 1st grade I had 11 boys and 3 girls.
    Both classes had one girl each that almost drove me to drink!

I'll take boys anyday!!!!!

11. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

i have more boys than girls this year too...but i don't know my numbers...our 3rd grade team is heavily weighted with boys...boys..and more boys...

12. glen

glen Companion

Jul 30, 2008

When my son was entering K, the principal called to say he was mistakenly placed in 2 kindergarten classes in two different buildings. She said it didn't matter to her which class he stayed in, but the closer school had 28 K kids-19 of them boys! The farther school only had 20 students. Needless to say, he took the 10 minute longer bus ride!

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 30, 2008

I had the best group of boys last year! They clicked so WELL! :) It was so cute because they were all very good friends, and really looked after each other. However, when I taught second grade...I had boy drama. Everyone wanted to be this certain boy's best friend. He was the all around good great kid who was a friend to everyone! :) That was interesting!

Generally, I love how carefree and fun boys are! I always thought I wanted little girls when I had kids...I'll take more boys than girls anyday after teaching a few years! :)

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

Last year I was boy heavy, but the boys were all jokesters. Every single girl in the class was well behaved. The boys had the nerve to complain that the teachers picked on them. I don't think they even took themselves seriously when they complained.

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

I'm the opposite this year- girls, girls, girls.

16. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

The year I taught kindergarten I had 12 boys and 7 girls. Ugh!` :(

17. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jul 30, 2008

My last year of teaching preschool K-4, I had 17 boys and 6 girls. And no thats not the reason it was my last year. LOL. If it had been that bad, I wouldn't be back in school to get my credentials to get back into teaching!

Actually once I got used to the higher energy level and more hands on approach to learning that boys tend to like....we had a blast! We pulled out nap mats during fire safety week and literally "stopped, dropped and rolled". Lots of transition movement to get rid of the wiggles. Be prepared for atleast one "bug boy" ...you know the ones that gather bugs out on the playground and put them in their pockets. It does take a few adjustments and you will have to be very strict at the beginning to keep them in control.

My class was amazing. They were one of my more fun groups. We were on a field trip once and one of the boys whose mom was with us was acting up. I just turned around (we were on the bus) and gave him "the look" and he straightened right up...his mom was amazed. LOL. The reason I has so many boys that year was that the parents of the boys requested me as they didn't want their boys in the other class with a really mean boy that was a leader/bully type. So for the most part, they weren't terribly bad.

18. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I would much rather have boys (at leas you can hear when they're getting into trouble) but I really think that 9/11 and Iraq have wrecked enough havoc on our boy/girl ratio in the classrooms. I'm ready for a few girls.

19. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

I'm always full of boys! I love my boys--the one year I had all girls was horrible (2nd grader started her period :eek:)

I'm looking forward to this year, all boys and 1 girl.

20. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2008

Huh?:confused:

Perhaps I'm being dense, but how have those events affected the b/g ratio? Fourth graders aren't getting drafted, are they?

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2008

I wondered about this myself.

Boys...I love 'em! I'd far rather have a class full of boys than a class full of girls!