Bossy Teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by classicbeauty02, Sep 14, 2008.

1. classicbeauty02

classicbeauty02 Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

Hello! I am a teacher at a small school. I absolutely enjoy my job. I love working with children!! The only problem is that I have a super bossy co-worker.

She is bossy, aggressive, and it aggravates me to even see her coming. I am a first year teacher and I am the only new teacher at this school.

An example of something that aggravated me is that she came into my room while I was teaching and told me that I needed to get my students to come down and clean up the eating area. I told her that we had thoroughly cleaned up. Well, it turned out that it had been another class that had left a mess.

She seems to almost pick on the students in my class. During dismissal, she has to get on to at least one of them about something that is not a legitimate concern; almost like I am not doing my job.

It is crazy. I am not sure why she is like this, but she seems to single me out. Please give me some advice on how to handle this.:help:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

You just described my situation with my mentor perfectly.

The only thing you can do is ignore her. It is hard, but it will get easier for you. My mentor still criticizes things and I let it go in 1 ear and out the other (the other day she did not like how I arranged my desks :rolleyes:

If it gets bad enough, speak to your P as a vent. I did this (not to get the teacher in trouble) and was told that to save an arguement, just tell her "P said I could".

4. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

This was my situation last year. When I went to my principal, she had my mentor and I sit down with her for a meeting where I could express how I was feeling in a safe environment. Unfortunately, afterward, she came to my classroom and "let me have it" for embarrassing her and "making accusations" in front of the principal. She said I should have simply told her without getting the principal involved. I did not feel comfortable talking to her, obviously, on my own. Basically, the best advice I have is "kill them with kindness." When she would interrupt my class to tell me how I had done something incorrectly (similar to your "messy" situation) I smiled and said, thank you for letting me know. I was not aware. I worked really hard to make it so that she had no room to say anything about me for the entire year. This year I have switched grade levels and she doesn't speak to me, but I still say hello with a big smile whenever I see her. I feel like I "won." Good luck and hang in there!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 14, 2008

I had a very aggressive co-worker last year. She would verbally attack me in front of other teachers, parents and students. I documented any time she did this and gave a copy to the principal. I don't think he cared two hoots, but when I decided to leave mid-year, he didn't put up a fuss because I had documentation on a school problem he did not try to fix. I'm not one to advocate documenting any little incident, but verbal harrassment is serious. My union stunk, but hopefully yours is stronger. Document, ask the principal to have mediated meetings and then send all notes and write-ups to your union rep. Hopefully this will show her you are not someone who can be picked on, and she'll let up. Or she'll get a ding or two on her record and back off. Hopefully.

6. classicbeauty02

classicbeauty02 Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

Thank you for all of the advice. I definitely needed it.