Books for 10th Grade?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Lauren Marie Kittell, May 17, 2019.

1. Lauren Marie Kittell

Lauren Marie Kittell New Member

May 17, 2019

I was just hired to teach 10th grade English and will be choosing what books the students read. The only stipulation I was given was not to choose books the 9th graders read. I'm looking for recommendations on what would be good books that high schools may actually relate to and enjoy reading while still learning important literary themes. I would like to include one Shakespeare play, and maybe Lord of the Flies, but any suggestions would be great!

3. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

May 18, 2019

It's been awhile since I taught sophomores, but here are the things we did:
    Fahrenheit 451--I usually also did Bradbury's short story There Will Come Soft Rains. These both bring up great discussions about the limitations and dangers of tech especially now in a very tech-centric world. I also think the idea of censorship, government surveillance, etc. that comes up in F451 can be easily tied to current events articles.

For a Shakespeare play, we did Hamlet. It can be a tough play, but I LOVE it. The students really got into it too especially the idea of revenge and whether it's better to let things go or avenge a hurt against you--they can easily relate that to their own lives, even though it may be (hopefully!) a different situation than Hamlet's.

4. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

May 20, 2019

10th grade is World Literature for us. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and Night by Elie Wiesel are the two books I teach the most in 10th grade. I'm doing Julius Caesar next year too. Bought the books myself when I saw them on sale on Teacher Discovery two years ago and I'm finally getting around to teaching it next year.

Not "books" but I also teach/or have taught: Dante's Inferno, The Epic of Gilgamesh, and Oedipus Rex to sophomores.

I often assign The Kite Runner for summer reading for honors.

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 21, 2019

"Julius Caesar" was the Shakespeare play we paired with 10th grade English classes. Another post suggested "Hamlet," but as they mentioned, it's a tough one - tough enough that we saved it for senior classes.

I thought "My Brother Sam is Dead" (Christopher and James Lincoln Collier) was an excellent book and, of course, "The Outsiders" (S.E. Hinton).

6. Lauren Marie Kittell

Lauren Marie Kittell New Member

May 21, 2019

I thought about Hamlet, but I know at my own high school it was reserved for AP Lit since it was so tough.
    I have thought about Things Fall Apart or a Long Way Gone. It would be nice to have a unit with a non-Eurocentric book. The school is over 97% white, so I do not know how they will relate to a story about imperialism (TFA) or child soldiers (LWG).

I love Farhenheit-451! That's a great suggestion. I have a lot of ideas on books, but unsure how many is reasonable to be read in one school year. I don't want to overwhelm the students, but want them to read some amazing works of literature. I have also considered Of Mice and Men, Wuthering Heights, King Lear, and Merchant of Venice.

7. saeedahmadi

saeedahmadi New Member

May 22, 2019

I have a lot of ideas on books,

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 23, 2019

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
    Native Son
    To Kill A Mockingbird (if they haven't read this in 8th or 9th grade)

For Shakespeare books..my two favorites for both 10th grade males and females to me are:
    The Merchant of Venice
    Hamlet

9. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jun 3, 2019

Night by Ellie Wiesel
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    Macbeth by Shakespheare

These were the required novels that the English 10 teachers had to assign (when I taught 9th grade English many years ago). I know they are still required to teach these novels, because the 9th and 10th grade special education English teacher told me....(we were in a special education cross-district meeting).