Book Reports

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Buckeye, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Buckeye

Buckeye Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

Should students in 3rd grade start doing book reports? I realize they would be simple but does anyone have a format that should be followed? If you do them how often are they assigned?

Thanks

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 14, 2007

My first report (and theirs at my school) is usually done with a picture book. I have done a couple of different things. Last year, was my first year with book buddies, so to get them thinking about books kindergarteners like to read, I had them bring in and share a book they liked when they were little. I had them write a short report on it. I think they responded to these questions: __ is about (a short summary) I liked this book when I was little because ___. My favorite part was ___. I remember ___ or maybe it was Now I feel ____... anyway, they ended up writing some really nice reports. This is a simple one, and I did within the first couple of weeks of school. I photocopied their favorite illustration from the book and they water colored it. It made a wonderful display.

Other times, I have chosen books on a particular topic (we are lucky to have a great library.) For example, we saw a play about WWII and they read some historical fiction picture books on WWII (There are LOTS of them!). They wrote a report on the picture book, but because it was such a rich topic, the reports were great.

I was reading a book at the time as well, I can't remember what, but about internment camps. I modeled each day how to write a paragraph on a particular aspect of the book (such as character, setting, etc.) Then they went back back and wrote a paragraph as well. By the time we were done, their reports were several paragraphs. One child said "you tricked us into writing a report!!" I think it's a good way to do it-- not so much pressure. Once they did the one report, they were better able to do more. This one also included a homework project where they created a presentation of some kind.

Other topics I have done were segregation, African tales, and anthropomorphism-- they love learning this word. Most stemmed either from a read aloud I did, or from a play we saw, which I connected a read aloud to. I would go to the library and choose enough books to give everyone some choice and of varying levels. I want everyone to do a picture book though. This way, some can be simple, some are more complex, and they are all on the same playing ground.

Once they have done this report with me guiding them, they usually do one more during the year, and it is done much the same way, working on it one part at a time. This one is usually a chapter book.

I also have lots of little worksheet reports or summarizing activities (like writing the setting, characters, conflict, resolution, and best part on the fingers- and the title and author on the palm of a hand) but find they do not like these very much at all. I am going to avoid them if possible from now on.

4. wig

wig Devotee

5. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

My 3rd graders do a book report each month, except Dec. and May. Each month I assign a different genre. They are to choose a book of at least 100 pages. They fill out a contract with the title, author, etc. They do a summary, 2 paragraphs for the first semester. In the second semester they will do 4 paragraphs. They also do a different project each month-book jacket, diorama, poster, dress up like a character, etc. They present their project with a short book talk. I give them the book report contract forms and summary sheets to fill out.

6. Buckeye

Buckeye Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

Do you have a copy of the book report contract forms and summary sheets? I would love to see a copy!

7. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

Sure, Buckeye! PM me!

Anniefan

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 14, 2007

What a great site, wig. Thank you.

9. Buckeye

Buckeye Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I agree! Thank You!

10. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I use a different format that allows the children to choose. It's a little longer than the traditional book report, but it's also in a very different format. It uses all levels of the Bloom's taxonomy to cater to all thinkers. PM me with your email if you'd like a copy.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2007

Thats for the site! :)

12. wyzegal

wyzegal Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I have my students complete book projects and short book reports as homework. I give them a month to complete the activities. We usually do this four times over the course of the year. Two times they complete projects using fiction books and the other two times the projects use nonfiction text.