book recommendations??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jessiiteach, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Jul 19, 2011
    Jan 28, 2013

My class is about to finish our read aloud, Because of Winn Dixie. I have never seen my students so interested in a book before! I really need the next book to be a good one.

What do you recommend? My students are third graders. I was thinking of reading "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" and integrate it with Black History Month. But I know it is a heavy read. Thoughts?
  3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2004
    Jan 28, 2013

Phyllis Reynolds Naylor - Shiloh series, Grand Escape Series, Boys Start the War series

DiCamillo - The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Tale of Desperaux
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jul 3, 2010
    Jan 28, 2013

I agree that Because of Winn Dixie is a great book. You made an excellent choice. I used Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry with 7th graders. I don't recommend reading it to 3rd graders.

A great read aloud book for your 3rd graders would be Shiloh. If they love Because of Winn Dixie, they'll really like that book.

For Black History month, I would read "I Have a Dream" by Margaret Davidson. It is a great biography on Martin Luther King Jr. and the students enjoyed it a lot when I read it to them when I was a 3rd grade teacher.

Some other great books for 3rd grade read alouds are:

1. The BFG by Roald Dahl
    2. The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
    3. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
    4. There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom by Louis Sachar
    5. Stone Fox by John Gardiner
  5. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2011
    Jan 28, 2013

I LOVE the Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, but isn't that the same author as the Winn Dixie book?
    I'm not sure if you want a quick read/picture book or a chapter book. A good picture book for Black History Month would be, Ain't Nobody a Stranger to Me by Ann Grifilconi (sp ?). Abby Takes a Stand is a good chapter book.

I also like to suggest the website, It's a listing of award winning children's literature, a great resource for teachers.