Book, How Children Succeed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherShelly, Apr 6, 2014.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 6, 2014

Have any of you read the book by Paul Tough called How Children Succeed? I'm reading it and would like to talk with people who read it, too. :)

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Apr 6, 2014

I haven't read it, but thank you so much for mentioning it. I am picking it up at the library tomorrow.

4. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Apr 8, 2014

I'm reading it sporadically...right now I'm really interested in the information on pages 152 and 153, about how the SAT and ACT scores aren't the "most accurate predictor of whether or not a student will successfully complete college" - the student's high school grades are the most accurate predictor, because "...high school grades reveal much more than mastery of content. They reveal qualities of motivation and perseverance - as well as the presence of good study habits and time management skills - that tell us a great deal about the chances that a student will complete a college program" (from the book "Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Public Universities," by Bowen, McPherson, and Chingos.) And this is true with only a "modest difference" whether a student went to a "high quality" or "low quality" high school.