Blogging

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Jul 6, 2017.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2017

A random thought I've had this summer was interest in possibly creating a blog. They're a dime a dozen, for sure, but I just feel as though it would be a great way to be able to more easily share resources (i.e. the math extension menus I created) and also share approaches/strategies much like on here along with it. It wouldn't be with the goal of monetization (oh, go away, red underline...I'm making it a word :p ), but a mix of a reflection piece along with being able to have some of the resources I created or have found useful make it to more classrooms out there.

Have any of you blogged before? Is it a pointless endeavor? If it isn't, do you have any suggestions for sites to use?

(Edit: Would simply starting off on FB be better? Or both at the same time?)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  3. MichelleH

MichelleH Rookie

Jul 7, 2017

I use Wordpress for my blog, but I find that it gets kinda complicated, and have had to ask for help more than once. What about creating a simple Google Site for free? Maybe your blog could be one page, have another page for resources, etc. Perhaps it could be a website for your class, and then a blog could be one part of it...I love the idea. I think the more we can share our thoughts and resources with each other, the better. Go for it!

4. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 9, 2017

I've thought about it too, but a) not sure what I have to say that would be unique; b) is the blog "education market" too crowded?

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2017

I don't think it has to be unique, necessarily: but perhaps challenge some common thoughts and provide something slightly different. And yes, it is crowded, but I also find that most recent blogs are with the purpose of connecting to a TPT shop.

6. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Jul 11, 2017

Would you want to be anonymous or would you share with people you know? I think I'd want to be anonymous. But then, really, who'd read it? o_O

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2017

I'd want it to be relatively anonymous: authentic, not leaving out key details, but not specifically/purposefully pointing out school, district, etc... names.

8. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 12, 2017

Well, true, I suppose, but I think it would need to be presented in a unique way, at least. Otherwise, there would be little distinction between blogs and thus little incentive for someone to choose a new blog to read if another one says basically the same thing. The blogosphere is littered with so much (Edublogs, for example). There's too much noise, IMHO.