Black History Month Door Decorating Contest

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lilmisses1014, Feb 10, 2008.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 10, 2008

Tomorrow is my first day in my second grade classroom (LTS). On Friday I found out that there is a door decorating contest for Black History Month. It is recommended that we pick an inventor and there must be as much student work on it as possible. I have this entire week to work with my class on this and the doors will be judged next week.

Any tips? Advice? Suggestions? I'm excited to do this-- what a great learning opportunity for my students!-- but I feel like I don't even know where to begin! Who would be a great person for my second-graders (some of whom are lower-level learners) to profile/learn about? Currently I'm leaning toward George Washington Carver.

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. If this is in the wrong forum, or if I somehow missed a thread on Black History Month, please accept my apology!! :unsure:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Feb 10, 2008

George Washington Carver is a great man, but you will find that almost every class will be using him as their choice. He is definely the most "noted."

Why not do someone like Elijah McCoy, or my favorite Madame C.J. Walker (Sarah Breedlove)?

If it were me, I'd choose Madam C.J. Walker. She is such a success story!

Good luck with whomever you choose!

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

What a great idea!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 10, 2008

Does it have to be an inventor?? Ruby Bridges would be an awesome person for 2nd graders to learn about. She was a first grader that intergrated schools in Lousiana. There are many books, movies and she's (I think) still involved in education today. Just a suggestion

7. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 11, 2008

Awesome ideas!! Rainstorm, I like your idea, actually. You always have such great suggestions! My husband immediately said "no" when I mentioned GWC, so I was definitely looking for more suggestions.

INTeacher, they recommend we profile an inventor, but I don't have to.

Youngteacher, thanks for that link!!

Thanks again, everyone!

:D