Black Friday shoppers- is it worth it to wait?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, Sep 14, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

Short version: I want a new TV. Leaning towards 55 inch. There are several options under $600 now. Will I save a significant amount if I wait until Black Friday?

Long version:
    I'm not a Black Friday shopper. I've went out exactly once :lol:
    But I am wanting a new TV. In my house, I had a large entertainment center with a small opening. My (tiny) 32 inch TV barely fit. It wasn't a big deal because I was never home (worked two jobs), my set up put me close to the TV, and I was out of market for my baseball team. I've never been a big TV watcher; I mainly watch sports. And HGTV ;)

Since moving, I have pretty much only one way to set up my living room with it making sense. I am all the way across the room from the TV- 18 feet. I have to strain to see what inning it is (I'm in market now- yay!). My entertainment center would not make another move (it was damaged a few moves ago and since I'm in 2nd floor apartment, I didn't even try to bring it.) So I can now buy a bigger TV. Plus they are so much cheaper now than they were when I bought this one.

I was at Walmart today to pick up some ink for my printer. It was right next to the TVs. I was drooling. I think I've settled on a 55 inch, and they had several options below $600. I contemplated financing one right then :lol: But if I can save a lot (get under the $500 mark), I think I'd rather wait. I won't have the cash for another 4 weeks, but they can finance with 0% interest, so I figured it really didn't matter.

3. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Sep 14, 2014

Can you check the Black Friday ads that are out now??I know I have had several emailed to me the last couple of weeks. I also don't shop then anymore.....I did when the kids were young to get the "needed"(wanted)toys!!! Maybe then you'll have an idea of prices!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

Seriously? Out already? That is crazy!

I was thinking about looking for last year's ads. I guess I'll just look for this year's!

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 14, 2014

I say get it now. The big ticket items like that are hard to get. Also, the really good deals are often on cheaper models, or older models, or unfamiliar brands.

I do Black Friday, but only a very few stores and only small things. The sales have not been as good the past few years.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2014

I would go ahead and get it now. I don't think that the BF prices will be all that much better than what you're seeing now.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

A new TV was on my wish list, but as I said, I don't have the extra money right this minute.
    Right now, Best Buy actually has one for $399, and one for $499. The $399 has bad reviews about the sound. I might go look at the $499 one. I have a Best Buy credit card, so I could use it now. I'd like to be under $500, but I'd rather go over for a good TV rather than hate one that fit in my desired range. I know there is an LG that I liked at Walmart for $568.

I know I paid over $500 for my 32 inch TV years ago.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 14, 2014

If a you want something now, you should get it now, especially if you're NOT a BF person like me. I just got a $1285 Lenovo computer from Best Buy last month (computer itself was about $750 before adding on everything). Sure, I guess I could have waited till BF, but I kind of needed a computer now w/ breaks in between grad school classes & I was about to start a new work project.

I have no regrets & am glad I got it when I did because the aggravation & frustration of dealing w/ the crowds etc. wouldn't have been worth waiting.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 14, 2014

Wait until Black Friday weekend, get one at costco - we got a 42 inch samsung LED HDTV for $492.

A lot of brands that stores sell for cheap aren't very good. You want a good brand like Samsung, Sony, or LG.

10. Harper

Harper Companion

Sep 14, 2014

I don't remember the specifics, but I got a great deal on one from Costco.

11. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 14, 2014

Columbus Day often has some pretty good sales. Can you wait that long?

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

My willingness to wait is directly correlated to how far my team makes it in the play-offs. :lol:

To pay cash, I really should wait 4-5 weeks anyway.

The World Series isn't until the end of October, anyway. :p

13. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 14, 2014

Oh, and with Costco, i'd recommend purchasing the SquareTrade warranty to cover your TV for a total of five years (Costco Concierge covers the first two years, SquareTrade covers up to five years after purchase)

14. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2014

I'll say no, since I'm not a Black Friday shopper! Get it on sale now, and save your sanity! :)

15. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2014

Giraffe, I like how you think! I pretty much plan my calendar, as much as possible, around the sports seasons! :lol: