Biggest problem at your school?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Caesar753, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

What would you say is the biggest problem at your school?

Some starting points:
    Student apathy
    Low SES
    Lack of funding
    Low test scores/not making AYP
    High teacher turnover
    Inadequate staffing
    Violence/gangs/drugs
    Infrastructure
    Lack of supplies
    High dropout rates
    Teen pregnancy

...You get the idea.

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

The two biggest problems at my school are drug abuse and teen pregnancy.

At the end of the school year, it got so bad that we were trying to think of ways to switch their stashes of xanax pills for birth control pills!

4. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I would say our biggest problem is drugs. We have drug sniffing dogs go through the school a couple times a year. And of course, drug use leads to drop outs. Which is our big problem as far as NCLB is concerned.

5. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I know this isn't really funny, but I can't help laughing...I have this mental image of a bunch of kids taking birth control pills at a party thinking they're going to get high!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, Edelweiss, I know what you mean... it's funny in that "If we don't laugh we'll cry" kinda way...

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

about sums it up - though we don't have too much with gangs or and violence is down. We have drug issues, but more issues with tabaco (chewing, if you can believe it!)

8. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

Wow, y'all are making me count my blessings.... :) Maybe I'm just naive, probably so. But in my first year in this school, I feel that our biggest problems are just growing pains... this area has been exploding in population over the last few years, and I think the head admin is still in the mentality of a much smaller district. At my school we are overcrowded (2000 kids in a 1400-capacity building) and have been for at least 6 years or so because we could never get a bond issue passed (our current bond issue, now that's a whole 'nother thread). So every teacher is sharing her room, sometimes even the ones out in the mods, and the territorial issues caused the most friction for teachers that I saw.
    I guess we have higher teacher turnover now, if you listen to the old-timers, comparing now to 10 years ago or so.

9. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Ignorance. Definitely ignorance and DISORGANIZATION!!!!!!! Last school year the adminstration "forgot" to assign me a room, and I had to conduct classes in the auditorium for the first two day (while another teacher moved her belongings to a smaller classroom.) Oh and how the parents complained when I was in the middle of my lecture about the importance of government and the band walks in for their first practice. Needless to say I was a tad p.o.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

:eek: Such a "minor" thing to overlook!

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 2, 2007

Back in the public school, I had the problems already mentioned, plus helicopter parents. At the college level, my biggest problem is attendance and the perverse sense of 'entitlement' the students who are fresh out of high school seem to bring with them.

Boy, do THEY ever get some surprises at this level.

My older students are just simply wonderful.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 6, 2007

I would have to say a horrid math department with lazy teachers only about 20% of the teachers are acutally good teachers. Secondly, incompetent English teachers who teach incorrect facts regarding history. (Not to mention a department head who did no even look at my idea to align the English Department's required reading with our Social Studies topics).
    Thirdly, admins who do not each and enfore stupid policies.

13. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 6, 2007

How can you align the English reading witht he SS topics? Not all of the novels are history related. Another teacher and I are going to make sure that when I teach Night this year it is during the same time she's teaching the holocaust, but none of the other novels would work. Also, it's impossible at our school to have all the 10th grade teachers teaching the same novel at the same time. There just simply aren't enough books.

14. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I would also say that teachers not getting the facts straight annoys me. Last year an English teacher told my students that the Sons and Daughters of Liberty didn't exist, and that they are a figment of America's imagination.

15. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 7, 2007

I am not asking them to allign all the books, but it would be beneficial to both our departments if we aligned some of them.

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

That would rive me nuts History Buff, I am noticng a common thread between these teachers they all teach English!

17. LI Teach 99

LI Teach 99 Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I can't believe they would say they were "a figment of America's imagination." That's rather kind of funny, yet sad at the same time. I agree with Brendan, that would drive me nuts too. Then there's the whole issue of having to correct another teacher, which isn't really an ideal situation.

At my school the biggest issue is attitude. I work in a very affluent district with VERY affluent students. Their parents money tends to come into issue. For instance, I once had a student say if I allow him to retake a test he would donate money to the Social Studies dept. to buy new iMacs. Another time was when we had a young girl transfer in from a neighboring district. She came from more humble surroundings and the students treated her as if she was trash. This did not stand with me, and they all got a nice long essay to write about respect and equility. :cool:

18. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 13, 2007

I am so used to correcting other teachers it doesn't even make me flinch. You just have to realize that some teachers will just be bad teachers and you cannot do anything about it.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2007

Brendan - I am with you. I actually think schools should be reformatted so that reading and writing skills are taught in one class, and literature and history are taught in one class.

20. LI Teach 99

LI Teach 99 Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

That's a really good idea Silverspoon. And I guess your right Brendan, I just feel odd correcting a 53 year old teacher [that's been teaching for 20+ years] when I'm only 25, and it's my second year.

21. consideritkids

consideritkids Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

My son's school did this last year ans it worked great. They read the novel in history, write the paper (summary, letters, change the ending, etc) in English and the paper is graded by BOTH teachers - in History for content and accuracy of facts, in English for spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, etc. Worked great.