Bi-Weekly Paychecks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by futuremathsprof, Sep 15, 2018 at 12:36 AM.

?

Which payment method would you rather have?

1. Monthly (10-month contract)

11.1%
  2. Monthly (12-month contract)

22.2%
  3. Semi-monthly (10-month contract)

11.1%
  4. Semi-monthly (12-month contract)

22.2%
  5. Biweekly

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:36 AM

So my private school had a meeting today and we all voted on how we wanted our paychecks to be dispersed. I voted no change since I was satisfied with the current distribution method (semi-monthly). Well, a simple majority of my colleagues decided to vote the opposite and so now the payroll is switching from semi-monthly paychecks to biweekly paychecks...

NOTE: The admin want teachers to be happy and so we frequently vote on things collectively before changes are made schoolwide. In instances such as these, it’s majority rules.

Personally speaking, I’d rather get paid once a month all up front, but that wasn’t an option. FYI, I make $62,000/year at the moment.

Why would anyone prefer $2384.62 twice a month (or $4,769.23 a month) and then $7,135.85 for March and August, when you could just make $2,583.33 twice a month (or $5,166.66 a month)? I’m now making about $400 less a month for 10 months in the year!!!

Apparently, they’d rather have three paychecks for two months a year and diminished paychecks throughout the rest of the year. That just seems silly to me.

Frankly speaking, I’m pissed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 8:42 AM
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:56 AM

My DH gets paid twice a month, and gets June, July, and August checks in June. He gets his first paycheck of the new year on Tuesday.

I get paid monthly with June, July, and August checks deposited in June.

It’s no big deal. I always paid everyth8ng when I got paid, and then the leftover money was for whatever else came up. DH had a whole other system of bill paying because he was used to twice monthly checks. It all works fine. He has an Excel document with all the expenses, and we dump money to that account. We schedule all payments automatically.

4. futuremathsprof

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:11 AM

Cool! I wish I got paid like you. And getting 3 months all in one lump sum (that would be $15,500 for me)?! That would be delightful. And in a like manner, I use an excel app every month for budgeting purposes. It’s mightily useful.

I’m going to pass this by accounting and the principal to see if I can individually have this plan. I will keep my fingers crossed and thanks for this!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 10:54 AM
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:14 AM

We have the option to get summer checks in a lump sum or monthly. I can budget, so I get the lump sum.

Our salaries are nearly identical even though we work in different districts.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:23 AM

The word "bi-weekly" is the worst word in the dictionary. It makes me so angry. I tell my students this regularly.

bi-weekly is defined as
    "appearing or taking place every two weeks or twice a week."

Obviously in this context you mean every two weeks, but it's a miserable excuse for a word.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:23 AM

Here's what I figure...it's the same amount of money regardless of how often I am paid, so all I have to do is budget when my bills are paid.

8. rpan

rpan Cohort

Sep 15, 2018 at 4:51 AM

I get paid fortnightly and I love that. In my previous job I got paid once a month and it was awful for me. I hate waiting a whole month to get paid and the week before pay week was always quite rough.

9. futuremathsprof

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:49 AM

Yes, it’s the same amount of money, but the distribution is very different. If you are used to having a certain amount of money every month, it sucks having $400 less each month for 10 of those months *just* to have more two months in the year.

10. futuremathsprof

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:53 AM

But you already received all of your money for the month that you would have received if you were paid on a semi-monthly basis? Wouldn’t your bills still be approximately the same?

Like what Ima Teacher says, you just pay all of your bills and live off of whatever is left. Easy.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:49 AM

OP, you are the math person living dirt cheap in an expensive to live in state. Be an example of math in action, and get used to this new system. FWIW, I get all of my salary during the school year, and no money over the summer, and I am just as happy with that as my son who has his year's salary doled out over 12 months. It is all in the perspective and willingness to be flexible with what life throws at you. I find it very odd that you think, after this whole school meeting, that you should think that you should have your pay doled out differently than everyone else. What happened to majority rules? You would have been satisfied if things went your way, but you are griping because the majority wanted something different. This is Democracy 101 in action. How lucky you are to be working at a school that gives you mad bonuses AND is responsive to the needs of the many, as demonstrated by a vote. Sorry you are not happy, but I am guessing that change is not your thing? Use your math skills to show how a person can make lemonade out of lemons - then you will be able to lead by example instead of being the one person who wants special treatment and pay schedule just because it "works better for you." Trust me, you will get used to it in no time, and then wonder what the fuss was all about. ;)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 10:16 AM
  12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:58 AM

In the end, we spend and save wisely enough and our finances are such that this kind of change would have zero affect. I'm paid monthly, she's paid every other week (so some months have three).

If there was a majority of people wanting that, perhaps seek them out to find out why they want it that way, if you're that curious?

Likely, it's due to a mindset of planning their finances for the lower months and then having the extra money/windfall on two months out of the year.

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:00 AM

Explosion in 3, 2, .........

14. rpan

rpan Cohort

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:11 AM

The problem is when you spend what’s left after paying bills too casually. It’s a personality thing. The “being poor” for the couple weeks before pay day makes me want to spend frivolously when I get paid, a bit like stuffing your face at a buffet after not eating for the whole day. But getting paid per fortnight means I don’t spend frivolously all at once and even if I do, pay day comes round pretty quickly. So even though the amount of money is the same annually, it very much suits my personality to be paid fortnightly,

15. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:16 AM

To this I would say ... relax. It all comes out the same in the end. While I am not one of them, there are people who really like the idea of that third check twice a year. They may be some of the same people who see an income tax refund as extra money. Is that how I see it? No. Does it bother me that others see it that way? No.

mathmagic and vickilyn like this.
  16. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Well, my vote isn't even listed as a choice! I want a good salary, and I don't care how it is doled out. I believe I am mature enough to deal with whatever life hands me - it all starts with the good salary. I am paid every two weeks, on a 10 month contract at my current job - it's fine. No money in the summer, but I can budget and not "run out" of money to live on. I have been paid once a month on a 10 month contract - it was fine. I have been paid twice a month on a 10 month contract and turned down the option to have that morphed into 24 payments instead of 20. None of it was worth worrying about as long as the salary is adequate. I haven't however, received the mad bonuses that OP receives. They would have made any of the choices even better. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 10:42 AM
  17. futuremathsprof

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:43 AM

I normally am for democratic rules, but I am very particular about my money and you know how much I love money. Now that I get less for most of the year I’m furious, though I didn’t say anything as my colleagues seemed happy about this. However, I don’t see why I cannot have my own payroll done differently, especially since accounting wouldn’t have to do it as often (once per month vs every other week).

All of the math teachers, myself included, kept trying to explain/plead with the other teachers why they would have less except for two months in the year and all they could see was that they would be getting three paychecks in March and August.

We were getting very frustrated because they didn’t understand the cost of that. I was like, come on non-math people! Why would you want to get paid less per month for 10 months?!

Yes, I live dirt cheap, but I like living dirt cheap in an expensive state. Outside of school, I am a semi-selfish person and I have no qualms admitting that. I like spending and making money — it gives me great joy.

When the vote was rallied, I was like, “Oh, hell no!” And though I feel bad for circumventing the rules, I want my money paid all at once per month because I am very good with budgeting and can make more major purchases that way.

I am NOT happy about this. And I’m not the only one who knows because my colleagues told me I looked like I had sucked on a really sour lemon after the vote. My face was that contorted.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 10:58 AM
  18. futuremathsprof

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:07 AM

I see. Psychology is an important factor.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:07 AM

I guess all I can say about that is you say you earn so much money I'm assuming you already have a hefty savings account with which to make large purchases?...and if not (I can't imagine that you wouldn't have lots of money set aside) it shouldn't be a problem for you to buy anything you
    want if you save some from each paycheck, like we mortals who earn average salaries do.

YoungTeacherGuy and TrademarkTer like this.
  20. futuremathsprof

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:08 AM

And I am not saying that I deserve special. I just want it, lol! I can’t help to ask.

And to be fair. I didn’t know know there were other options besides the one I listed besides weekly, but that is very rare for a teacher to be paid like that.

21. futuremathsprof

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Yes, but I try to avoid spending that at all costs because that is my down payment for a house and/or for extreme emergencies. I currently rent for $550/month, which is phenomenal, but I want to own my house. It is a big dream of mine — to me, it means that I’ve achieved the American Dream. No on in my family has ever owned their own home.

And I’d wager that many of you earn more than I do — I read about teachers making in the 80k-100k+ range on here and I’ve seen many public school teacher salary schedules and the teachers in some districts make *way* make more than my current teaching salary. The only reason I make more than them is because I run a successful private tutoring business. Otherwise, I would make an average salary, too, as mere “mortals” do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.