Best Poems for Middle School?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ms_chandler, Jan 13, 2008.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jan 13, 2008

I'm teaching a poetry unit soon, and our textbook is outdated. We were supposed to get new ones, but the math dept. needed them more, so we've been bumped to next year. I really can't get into the poetry in there. Which poems do you use? I am starting with a homemade Power Point with poetic devices. I am hoping to find poems with each of them, alliteration, metaphors, personification, etc.

If you can get me anything, I'd really appreciate me. You can PM me if you have a file to send or just send me titles that I can google.

Thanks!

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2008

See if you can get your hands on Naming the World by Nancie Atwell. I have used this book for several years, and the kids really connect to the poems in it. Most of the poems are written by kids in Atwell's classes, but it also contains poems by "real" poets. In addition, she gives discussion ideas for all of the poems.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

5. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Jan 14, 2008

Great links!

6. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Jan 18, 2008

I don't have a specific poem in mind, but every year we do a "March Madness" type theme with poetry. It's similar to the basketball tournament in that you start with a bunch of poems, narrow it to Sweet Sixteen, Final Four and such. The kids like the idea and we make a big deal out of the winning poem.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2008

There are some fine resources on the Library of Congress Web page for poetry, http://www.loc.gov/poetry/, including Billy Collins's nifty collection Poetry 180.

8. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jan 18, 2008

I did the March Madness Poetry Tournament with students last year and it was a big hit with the students. They couldn't wait to come in each day and see which poems had moved on. It really motivated the students to be there everyday and got some great discussions going about poems. It was also a great way to expose students to many different kinds of poems, themes, and authors.

9. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jan 18, 2008

Thanks! I've have to look into that! Haven't heard of it actually.

10. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion