Best Lord of the Flies Film Version

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by linswin23, Oct 11, 2017.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Oct 11, 2017

Hi there,

I'm teaching LOTF for this first time. Back in the day when I was in high school, we watched the version from the 1960s-black and white. I've heard that there's is also a version from the 1990s. If you've taught this book and shown the film after reading, which one do you use? From what I've heard the more recent one has a lot more explicit language. Thanks!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 11, 2017

I taught the book last year and decided to use the old, black and white version movie. It was great. It went exactly as the book was written, most of the time the conversations were verbatim. The color version had an f word (or something equivalent) within the first 5 minutes or so, and it didn't even go with the story. I only watched the first 10 minutes.
    In the book the pilot dies, the kids are left to fend for themselves. In the color version the pilot survives and the kids pull him out of the water.
    I didn't watch it any longer.

I would go with the black and white version. if you would want the kids to compare the book and the movie and write a paper about which is better and why, then I can see the color version being ok. You still have the profanity issue, although I don't know if it was just once in the beginning, or continued throughout. If it's only once, maybe you can fast forward that part.

linswin23 likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 11, 2017

The color version is rated R.

I go with the black and white one because I'm usually teaching it to 8th graders. That version is also more like the book.

linswin23 likes this.
  5. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Oct 11, 2017

Thanks so much Ima and Linguist! I'd rather go with what's closest to the book, so I'll keep it to the black and white version :)