Best Classroom Management Books

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by sml522, Apr 22, 2012.

1. sml522

sml522 Rookie

Apr 22, 2012

Any suggestions for classroom management books, specifically for a first year teacher?

Thanks!

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Apr 25, 2012

Tools For Teaching by Fred Jones

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 25, 2012

I always suggest the book I'm linking to below because it goes over multiple different classroom management systems and helps teachers understand common elements across different programs, and some of the research that goes into the development of those programs. Very few strategies in any one system/program are unique or novel to that program - most are cleverly described/packaged best practices that have been researched in other contexts, then put together for ease of use.

The book below describes a lot of these programs, so you can see which one(s) you like, and chose to buy those specific books. If you just arbitrarily chose a book, you may find that you like it less, or may miss something even better. You will also be able to pull in strategies from different programs and fill gaps that certain programs have.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Classroom-Discipline-9th-Edition/dp/0205510728

5. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Apr 25, 2012

Love and Logic and How to Listen so Kids will Talk and How to Talk so Kids will Listen (dang that's a long title). I saw a dramatic improvement in my relationship with students after trying to implement those suggestions.

6. linswin23

linswin23 Comrade

Apr 28, 2012

I'm a first year and have been reading/training with Fred Jones--I highly recommend it. Some of his concepts seem like simple common sense tactics, but he makes you aware of everything you say, do, act and he teaches you to be consistent! Good luck :)

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 29, 2012

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2012

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Apr 29, 2012

I would second Fred Jones: Tools for Teaching.
    Also, if you are teaching in a low-income / urban neighborhood, A Framework for Understanding Poverty is very valuable.

10. SetterHugger85

SetterHugger85 Rookie

May 24, 2012

Setting Limits in the Classroom - Robert J Mckenzie

This is a great book to figure out what kind of teacher you are and how to develop more "follow-through" with classroom management...has helped me a lot :)

11. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

May 24, 2012

I love "Setting Limits..." too.
    Also, while not specifically classroom management, this one is great: "Backtalk, 4 Steps to Ending Rude Behavior in Your Kids." It's based on logical consequences for behavior. Here's a quote from the back of the book: "You'll learn how to recognize backtalk, how to choose and enact a response that will make sense to you and the backtalker, and when to disengage from the struggle and move on." I re-read it periodically, and always get something good out of it.

12. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

May 24, 2012

I second the "Framework" book. I got this for free from my district, because they made it "required" reading about 8 years ago when they realized that they were slowly acquiring more and more low income students. If you work in a low income/urban district, you'll read the book and be like, "That's (insert student name here)! And that is SO (insert other student's name here)!". It helps you make sense of their behavior and gives great ideas for making connections with these students and "bridging the gap".

13. mikemack42

mikemack42 Companion

May 30, 2012

The First Days of School by Harry Wong is excellent.

14. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

Jun 1, 2012

Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones and First Days of School by Wong
    Both incredible!
    Love and Logic is a great one too

15. Vontrax

Vontrax New Member

Aug 8, 2012

16. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 13, 2012

I second (or third?) Setting Limits. Dr. Mckenzie came to our school a couple years ago and he's got great things to say about not getting into the 'dance' with irksome students.

Jeffrey Sprague's Best Behavior is also a good one, along the same lines, with a focus on using positive systems to head off trouble. My district is adopting his PBIS program across all of our schools.