Best Balls

Discussion in 'P.E. Teachers' started by sarbea, Jun 4, 2009.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2009

"All others will be... bounced."

2. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

OK, so should I be the one to mention the color of the best balls? Not blue...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2009

kc~I just got my screen all cleaned off...

4. sarbea

sarbea Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

:eek: probably not.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

Yah, but I know I wasn't the only one thinking it!

OK, to redeem myself with some advice...um...honestly, I order the cheapest ones from our supplier...most of ours end up on the roof!

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

I saw the title and my one track mind went :lol::spitwater::D
    It reminds me of what I said to my class one Thursday,
    "It's Share Day so for the sound of Bb, Girls and Boys bring your balls tomorrow!" :DMy team teacher looked at me with a smirk on her face and I busted out laughing. The children were looking at us like, "What's so funny?"
    Rebel1

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 4, 2009

sarbea,

All joking aside --

What kind of balls are you looking for? What age groups, and what usage? I used to teach PE and I also spent 12 years in parks and recreation.

Playground Balls (Kick balls)
    Do you want to play kickball with them? If so, indoor or outdoor? Will they ever have to double as basketballs? This is an essential question, since half of the kick balls made over-inflate to a size that will get stuck in basketball nets. If they have to double as basketballs, you need to order a smaller size, or you will spend all of your time trying to get stuck balls out of the nets. If they have to double, what size nets does your school use? (If you don't know, just tell me the size of the gym -- half court or full court -- the age of the students, and the approx height of the backs, and I can figure it out.

Will you ever play dodge ball with these balls? If so, you need a different kind.

Do you want them to come in a variety of colors (for teams or grouping) or is traditional red okay?

Now, in terms of basketballs -- again, what size are you looking for? (If you don't know, tell me the grades and the net sizes, and I can help you figure this out.) If you order the wrong size basketballs, your kids will have trouble handling them, and they can get stuck in the nets.

Will the basketballs be used indoors only? Outdoors only? Or do they need to be indoor/outdoor? This matters in determining what type of covering (rubber, synthetic, or leather.) If there is any chance they will be used for league-play, the sizes have to be very exact -- if not, there is some leeway.

Do you have an inflater? If you don't, you need to purchase balls that hold air bettr (but that makes them more expensive.) Typically, the cheaper the balls, the faster the air leaks out.

In terms of footballs, is it for recreational play or sports instruction. The ages of the players will decide the size.

Also, what is your budget? The price of balls varies greatly. If you want leather for a basketball, you can easily spend $50-70 per ball. If you only have $6 per ball, you are going to have to get rubber. It's a gimme.

If you give me the info, I can give you some ideas, and the names of some reliable vendors.

A ball is not a ball...is not a ball.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 5, 2009

I went back to your original post and now see it is for young elementary.

First -- I would recommend NOT getting a football. Kids will try to tackle no matter how many times you tell them not to. Many schools (like ours) have a no football policy, because of serious injuries. It just isn't worth it.

Playground balls. You can actuall get some decent ones right at walmart, if budget is a concern. They are cheap. They also have incredibly cheap rubber basketballs, which is what you want for recess play, if you have an outdoor net.

Basketballs come in three basic sizes: intermediate, junior, and official. You don't need or want official for this age group. The general rule is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade boys use 28.5” balls. 4th, 5th, and 6th grade boys use 29.5” balls. All girls divisions use 28.5” balls. I personally would recommend that you get a junior size ball. It works the best with more children. I would also get a rubber one, because they are lighter and easier on children's hands.

Never ever let children "sit" on balls. It will blow out the seams eventually, and cause the balls to lose air and leak.

Playground balls come in a variety of sizes -- as small as 7 inches and I've seen 13 and 14 inch ones. Don't get one that is bigger than your basketball, because if you do, and you have nets, your students will get the ball stuck in the nets. Then you have to get another ball, and try to throw it up and knock the stuck ball out -- what a pain!

S&S Worldwide has great balls -- but be forwarned -- they aren't cheap. If you want cheap, go to walmart. They will have what you need.

I'd also say this from experience -- you may not actually want to get a soccer ball, unless you also have to teach PE, because no matter how many times you tell them not to, the kids will try to bounce the soccer ball and play basketball with it. That, of course, ruins the ball. If the kids sit on a real soccer ball, it will leak out of the seams -- and again, a flat ball doesn't work well. Also, if you aren't "ref-ing" a recess soccer game, you will have a dozen kids all chasing one ball, madly and wildy kicking at it -- and kicking each other instead. They don't get the whole "team" thing at this age unless they've been on a soccer league -- and the ones you have to worry about are the ones who haven't. Get one front tooth kicked out by a clueless child, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

So my advice is this (unless you are also charged with teaching team sports). Nix the football. Nix the soccer ball. Get the junior size basketball only if you have access to rims or nets (otherwise they will start bouncing them up against walls... bad idea.) Get lots of playground balls (kickballs) that are no bigger than the size basketball you buy.

Also, make sure you have access to an inflater, and don't let the kids sit on the balls.

If you want to play dodge ball type games, buy a "gertie" -- it is soft, slow motion ball that doesn't hurt so much if you are hit by it. These are also called "slo-mos." Don't let the kids ever use it as a kick ball, basketball, or playground ball, because dirt sticks to it, and it is hard to clean. It has sort of a gator-type texture that doesn't stay very clean. It is also great for kids who are afraid of getting hit by a ball -- to play catch games with.

Hope it helps.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 5, 2009

Ah yes, the other thing -- the joys of inflating cheap balls.. (now doesn't that sound kinky?)

Do you know you have to wet the valve before you stick the needle in? Here is what most people do (even though it sounds really, really gross) Spit on your fingers and rub that over the valve on the ball. Suck on the needle (or rub your spit on it with your fingers -- depends on how much of a germophobe you are) If you don't wet the valve and the needle, sometimes when you pull the inflating needle out, the entire valve will come out too -- which ruins the ball. It can't be repaired if this happens. This especially happens if you buy cheap balls.

A good rubber junior size basketball will run $41.99. You can get a cheap one from walmart for $6, sometimes less.

One more hint -- boys at this age tend to "hog" all the balls and not let the girls have a turn. I keep this from happening by drawing a smiley face with a mustache on half of the basketballs, and a smiley face with red kissy lips on the other half. So half are "boys" and half are "girls. Trust me -- the boys don't want to be caught playing with the kissy lips balls. You can have some plain ones for mixed games if you want.

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

11. sarbea

sarbea Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

Thank you so much Rainstorm for all the information. I have jotted down some notes and will nix the soccer ball for sure and maybe the football unless I can order some flags. I also liked the 'no sitting on balls' rule. I also will order a playground balls smaller than my rubber basketball. That was soooo helpful! Thank you again.

12. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

US games is good for all your needs and order some of everything. They even have playground packs with all kinds of stuff that comes out to be a good deal per item. Oh yeah, order jr sizes for elem. AND DO order footballs.
    Some kids love them and you just have to monitor them. Be hard and fast on tackling. Better yet order the flags to play with so they pull flags instead of tackling. I have done this 30 years and never had a real injury in flag football (dont ask me about soccer)

GET the cheap 8.5 playground balls for kickball. They are perfect.
    One game they now love with me is volleyball using a big plastic ball or beach ball (if the wind is down) You can get the plastic ball at walmart or others for like 2.50. Even the 2nd grade can play with the big light ball.
    oh yeah, glycerin is the best for the needle on the pump but it can gum up a plastic manual pump/

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 5, 2009

I am so glad the OP finally got some advice. I was feeling bad, but still having fun wanting to type things like "sorry, I don't play with balls often enough to know which balls are best."

AnYwAy ...

Our seniors give a 10 minute presentation in front of a judging panel. It was a graduation requirement (we aren't doing it next year). One of our girls that wasn't known for her academic skills was presenting. She had covered all of her material but still had SEVERAL minutes to go before she got to 10, so she was kinda rambling. She was talking volleyball and said "it's always a good idea to keep a towel in your bag in case your balls get sweaty, you can wipe them off." I was sitting behind my admin and I saw his shoulders shaking as he was trying to not laugh.

As soon as she left and the door was closed, we all burst.

14. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 5, 2009

My best friend orders the balls for our PK-8 school. She orders through Gopher. The rubber balls come in a variety of strengths and costs. She orders the strongest ones. They will hurt if they hit someone, but they last forever.

15. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

:DSO we've all come to the conclusion that
    THEY HAVE TO BOUNCE AND not BLUE. Right?:D
    Man! I am still cra:lol:c:lol:king uP about this THREAD TITLE!
    I needed that 2 day looooooooooooooong :lol:.
    :thanks:
    Rebel1