Bell schedule options - modified block?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ron6103, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Oct 24, 2009

So, our school is currently on a rotating A/B block (with 4 85 minute classes per day) but our board has mandated that we transition away from such a schedule for the next academic year. I serve on the committee that is researching alternatives, and while I've spent lots of time browsing school websites and ERIC, I wanted more input.

We are seriously looking at some sort of modified block format, where some days of the week the kids have all 8 classes, and some days they go to longer periods of fewer classes. Does anyone have any example bell schedules like this, that they'd be willing to share? Or even just general ideas on this?

Has anyone gone through such a transition?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Oct 24, 2009

That's funny. We are going from a six period day to a modified block. I'm very interested in how lunch shifts work on block schedules!

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Oct 24, 2009

When I was in high school, we took 6 classes per semester, however, we only had 5 classes per day. The first period of every day was a double period. Every day, a different class was given the double period, and a different class was rotated out.

For example, if I was taking English, Math, Biology, French, Chemistry and Physics, Day one would look like:

Period One (double): English
    Period Two: Math
    Period Three: Biology
    Period Four: French
    Period Five: Chemistry

Then, the next day, we would rotate
    Period one: Physics
    Period two: English
    Period three: Math
    Period Four: Biology
    Period Five: French

Even though there were no more classes to the cycle (you lose a class one day, gain a double another), it allowed teachers to have a guaranteed longer session with the students once per cycle. As well, I think it would help being able to teach the kids at different points during the day.

I have no idea what the teachers thought of the system, but I didn't mind it as a student.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2009

We have 7 classes and 62 minute periods. We drop a class each day. I love it because I see kids during different times each day.
    For instance:
    Day One
    1st--A
    2nd--B
    3rd--C
    4th--D
    Lunch
    5th--E
    6th--F
    G Period is dropped.
    Day Two
    1st--G
    2nd--A
    3rd--B
    4th--C
    Lunch
    5th--D
    6th--E
    F Period is dropped.

The schedule continues to rotate until we are back at Day One. I love this schedule.

6. AnneR

AnneR New Member

Oct 24, 2009

I teach in a middle school and this is our second year on a partial block schedule. We went from no block to our current schedule. We have our regular 8 period schedule on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. On Wednesday (even periods) and Thursday (odd periods)are our block periods. We ended up with an extra half an hour that needed to be scheduled and so we made a school wide reading period.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2009

I've never done a block schedule, but we have 9 periods with 38 minute classes and 4 minutes of passing time. On a "regular schedule" day, here's the schedule:

Homeroom: 8:10- 8:39
    01: 8:34-9:12
    02: 9:16- 9:54
    03: 9:58-10:36
    04: 10:40- 11:18
    05: 11:22- 12:00
    06: 12: 04- 12:42
    07: 12:46- 1: 24
    08: 1:28-2: 12
    09: 2:16- 2:54

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2009

Wow--How do your science teachers do labs in that short amount of time? I always feel rushed with 62 minutes when we do a lab.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2009

I have no idea!

I know I have a double period with some of my slower classes, so it's possible that they get a double period once a cycle for labs. I'm not reallly sure.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2009

We are on a traditional 7 period day, but one of the other high schools is on an A/B block schedule. We are looking into going into an occasional block - maybe twice a month - so that we can have longer periods for more involved lessons. The only thing is that since period one is optional, it wouldn't be included and would still be 55 minutes every day. I would love to try a rotating block, or the schedule where you have all periods on Monday and then have an A/B block the rest of the week, but I don't know how much support there would be from the rest of our staff.

11. Special-t

Special-t Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2009

Modified block sounds interesting.

I occasionally sub at a HS that opened a few years ago. The teachers were given a vote and the majority wanted an A/B (108 minute per class) block schedule. The word around school is that most regret their decision because the students lose the ability to concentrate for such long periods. I work a middle school with this same 108 minute schedule. It's grueling.

12. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Oct 24, 2009

Oh, we're certainly moving away from doing the block each day, and for that exact reason. Many of the kids just don't have the attention span. Plus, if a week is shortened for any reason, you might only see a class once a week. And outside of the college level... that's just not enough.