Being paid at the end of every month

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Oct 19, 2018.

1. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 20, 2018

I hope you realize how privileged you are that you are able to budget that way. I know so many starting teachers who are truly struggling. Our district has a food bank for teachers. A lot of you seem to be speaking from a place of privilege that is not the reality for many teachers.

2. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 20, 2018

Your reasoning isn't sound. There is no reason to make the life of others more difficult so you don't have to control your spending for the month. You still make the same whether it is one check or two. Your propensity for wanting to see a large sum isn't anyone's problem but yours, nor should you make it so.

You have no more or less purchasing power. The only difference is you must control your spending and save so that at the end of the month you have your "large sum".

Backroads likes this.
  3. Aces

Aces Cohort

Oct 20, 2018

Exactly. I account for every penny. For instance I knew exactly how much I spent on Dunkin coffee last month, how much I spent on theater junk last month... Neither of which I'm exactly proud of.

4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 20, 2018

I don’t understand. 5480/month x 12 is in the 60s. I thought that you made that as gross salary. Do you not pay taxes/SS Or not get paid 12 months?

5. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Oct 21, 2018

I agree. If it wasn't for my online teaching jobs I would struggle with being paid the end of the month starting out

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2018

I recall my first teaching job. Once a month paycheck at the beginning of the month, but it wouldn't come until October. I was asked if that would be a problem .I had been hostessing at a restaurant since graduation so it wasn't a big deal, but I could imagine that very much being a problem for some just starting out.

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2018

On a side note, sometimes I really hate the "budget" discussions. For the record, I believe budgeting is a valid and important financial habit, but some people just... ugh! Speak as if budgeting would magically solve all woes. Just the other day someone was saying how no one really needed insurance and if they just lived healthily and tightened their belts and, for crying out loud, budgeted and prioritized, they'd be able to afford it. Dude, just one of my daughter's medications per month costs TWICE what my husband and I bring in. Thank goodness insurance picks that up. You really think budgeting is going to magically create money we don't have?

Upsadaisy, ms.irene and dgpiaffeteach like this.
  8. Aces

Aces Cohort

Oct 21, 2018

Right I agree. You have to have money in order to spend money.

Backroads likes this.
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 21, 2018

Part of budgeting is understanding where money needs to go, and medical insurance is one of those places.

Backroads likes this.
  10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2018

Just out of curiosity...why is it so important to you to repeat over and over again how much money you make?

11. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Oct 22, 2018

In 2 of the 3 districts I have worked in (not counting subbing) I have gotten paid once per month. My current district is the 15th, a previous district is the 20th. I have just always paid everything for the entire month on payday. The most challenging payment arrangement I have had was my first district paid June, July, and August in one check in June. All of the rest of my districts have paid evenly split over 12 months.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 22, 2018

Budgeting is important but I agree that even the most budget savvy person should have insurance. There are tons of systems out there (I heard Dave Ramsey has a good system but I'm too lazy to look it up o_O). I'm kind of lazy with budgeting but I put a certain amount of money aside from each paycheck for food, car insurance, Christmas gift fund, and miscellaneous. I keep extra money in my checking account for emergencies so I don't have to use a credit card. I think I could do much better though.

Backroads likes this.
  13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2018

I've been used to getting paid once a month for a good 13 yrs from the district I used to work for, so whether it's at the beginning, middle, or end of the month doesn't really matter to me.

If you can't change any bill due dates, really save & double up on paying the next time around, so you stay a month ahead.

Backroads likes this.