Being "Green"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Soccer Dad, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Nov 29, 2008

I'm always looking for ways to be more environmentally friendly in my classroom and at home. What do you do at home or at school that's environmentally good?

This year, I began running off worksheets in sets of days rather than topic. For example, rather than just have a packet of 3 pages on Monday and then 1 page on Wednesday, I combined them to 2 pages front and back. This can get confusing, but cut WAY down on the amount of paper I use. Also, this is the third year I give quizzes on PowerPoint rather than on paper. (Short quizzes work good, for longer multiple choice ones, I give paper copies.)

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 29, 2008

My kids complete all objective portions of their quizzes/tests on their laptops for Social Studies. The best part is no grading time for me AND the kids get instand feadback once they press submit (and a grade if the test/quizze doesn't have any essays or short answers). I also stoped copying my math worksheets on full sheets of paper, students ended up using scrap paper anyways, so now I print 2 worksheets on one half sheet.

4. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 30, 2008

Our school is definitely going green. Each classroom has recycling bins, and the workroom has huge recycling bins. Each class signs up for a different week to collect the recycling for their school. In addition, we are creating composbins for our school, planting gardens, and enerally being more environmentally friendly.

Personally, in my classroom, I am trying to have the students do less worksheets and more hands-on activities. I am using white boards more, and just trying to be aware of my carbon footprint.

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 30, 2008

I would love to hear what other teachers/school are doing!

6. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Nov 30, 2008

Wow, KLSSwimmer, I love what your school is doing to do its part environmentally! I am hoping that my school will show this kind of dedication soon...it is so important to teach the little kids about recycling and being more environmentally friendly.

I just try to cut back on my copywork and talk to my students about recycling and waste throughout the year instead of just around Earth Day.

I want to get my school involved with the Terracycle program where you send in the Capri Sun pouches and other things, and they pay the school for each thing sent in. Anybody else do that?

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2008

Recycling is an important part of our school community. All classrooms have recycling bins and we talk a lot about what needs to go into the recycling bins instead of the garbage (the kids learn quickly when I make them dig the recycle-ables out of the garbage can!) We all wish that, as a school, we would be able to recycle more than we can. We also have at least one day a month when the students are encouraged to bring litterless lunches and offer a prize to the classroom with the least amount of garbage at the end of the day. We have regular schoolyard and community clean-ups or trash. It's not a lot, but every little bit helps.

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2008

Our Earth Club handles recycling of bottles and cans, and the office has a bin for recycling paper. Instead of giving copies of things like charts for kids to fill in, I put them up on the screen and let them make their own in their notebooks. Homework is done in a single composition notebook for the year, which I stamp. I copy a single set of tests which I number; students use their own paper as an answer sheet. (They have to write the number of their test on their answer sheet - I think the perception that I might check it somehow cuts down on cheating.) Finally, when there's something I do need to hand out to all 177 kids, I reduce it and copy two on one sheet of paper. They've got good eyes!

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2008

I don't know if this is "being green" or "keeping teacher happy", but if time allows, I have the students "draw" a subject on the backside of their worksheets...example: Draw your family, draw an animal, draw your favorite toy, etc...

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 30, 2008

We went 1:1 this year and are producing way less paper waste. It is fantastic! I think I've made 3 trips to the copy machine all year, for real. Any document I want my students to see I can upload or email or project. We went with the tablet pcs, so student's notebooks are digital (they use a stylus to write). OneNote allows them to have tabbed notebooks just like a traditional binder.

Our board is trying to go to paperless meetings.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 30, 2008

I'm posting parent notes on the computer along with the class calendar of events, monthly poem, menus, "Weather Report" form, and spelling lists. I've told the parents to look for a new one at the beginning of the month. We also try to practice common sense in keeping out door closed to keep the warmth in and cold out in the winter & vice versa for summer. We turn lights off when we leave.

We really should be doing much more. I need to talk to my P about getting the whole school going with a newspaper/paper recycling.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2008

We ordered a recycling bin that's out back in the parking lot. The school gets money back for every so much sent to the recycling company.

Almost all the kids have Internet at home, so I started posting their spelling words on Spellingcity.com. They don't print out the list; it's right there. They play games with the words on line. Saves paper. Scores are the same as when I did have paper work.

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 1, 2008

I WISH my school recycled, it makes me insane that they don't. The school district I grew up in had a can for paper in every room, and we were trained to never throw away paper. In my district now, there is zero recycling. Nothing.

Unfortunately, my home town does not do paper recycling either- we do plastic, cans, things like that, but no paper. My assistant's does, however. They pick up EVERYTHING there. So, we have started to train our students to put paper in a bin, and we save things like the plastic from their individual cereal bowls they are given for snack. We tell them it's our recycling bin, and that Miss **** is nice enough to take it home with her to recycle. That makes me feel better about it. But in 2008 there is NO excuse for a school to not be recycling paper, IMHO. I only wish I technically worked there so I could try to do something about it. Someday...

14. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Dec 2, 2008

We have a paper bin out in the parking lot we get money for too. I have my kids trained to put all scrap paper in an old milk crate when they don't want/need it anymore. Sometimes I pull out 1 sided things and have them use them for scrap paper/coloring paper. My 1st graders just LOVE to color & draw. We are really the only class in the school really gung-ho about it, but I notice that when my old 1st graders (now 2nd graders) have a lot of paper to get rid of they make their way to my room to throw it in the recycling bin.

15. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008

We Recycle paper, plastic (and cans in the teachers room). I have started making less worksheets (not only to save paper, but some of it is just plain boring!) and when I do need to print something for the kids or to send home to parents, I try to do half sheets (even 1/3) and or print back to back. It saves a lot to make 12 copies vs. 24!!

I keep lights off most of the time and shut my computers down every night. I also turn lights off when I leave a room. We do have sensors that shut off after about 20 min or so, should you forget!!

Our admin. has also tried to go paperless and are sending home less flyers. A weekly email is sent out with everything. Parents can request to get flyers via folder should they not want email or do not have internet access.

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 2, 2008

We have 3 composters going to recycle our meal fruit and veg waste. We have recycling for kitchen cans, alum from weekends, glass-from families, paper and cardboard. We have a hand-me-down program that is encouraged between families but happens in their spare time not at school-we have gardens in both the ECE program and inside the elm school that are maintained (in part) by the ECE program.

17. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Dec 3, 2008

Wow! I just looked through this website-- what a GREAT idea!!!! My only concern would be that parents already have to save box tops, Campbell's labels, etc... I wonder if they would be annoyed with having to save even more items? Personally as a parent, I'd be excited about it, but I don't know how other parents feel.