Being forced....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lily1989, Feb 12, 2017.

1. lily1989

lily1989 Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

My background: graduated with gen ed 1-6, subbed, worked as an assistant teacher while getting my M.Ed. in sped k-8, worked as long-term sub, got a permanent position as a sped teacher in a new district last year. Resigned from that job bc I knew I was going to be non-renewed because it was a mess and the commute was awful-used the commute as reason for leaving. Scored my dream job for my dream grade level (1st grade!) as a gen ed teacher in district closer to home for this year.

Have had tough year. Mentor doesnt help me at all, is completely unorganized, doesnt tell me vital things I need to know/plan for or how they get done. I dont even know the units we do as a team this year because she tells me nothing. P doesnt tell any of us how she wants things done and then gets upset when they arent done the way she wants. When I do what she tells me to do it still isnt good enough. She is really demeaning me lately. She is holding non-renewal over my head. I want to resign before she has a chance to non-renew me. I have no other job lined up but I have a feeling I need to do this. There are also impending budget cuts in the district. Would that be an okay reason to list as my reason for leaving? What if they call P and P says I wasn't going to be cut? I really want to go work somewhere that I am treated with respect and not always yelled at like a child. I know I'm not perfect, I'm always willing to take feedback and grow, but here even when I do that I am ridiculed and it is not healthy. PLEASE HELP ME. I feel like due to the situation I am being forced to resign as it is the smartest thing to do at this point.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  3. cjven

cjven Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

My first year I resigned without having another job lined up. I simply stated on apps that I was "seeking new opportunities." I was in a small town and basically witch-hunted the whole year. It was awful! I was applying with bigger districts and it was no big deal. I did have a recommendation from the P, however.

I think you are over thinking this.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 12, 2017

Do you think your P will give you a good recommendation when called?

5. lily1989

lily1989 Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

no

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 12, 2017

It's going to be hard for you to find a job with two bad years as your only experience and no good recommendations. Are there any commonalities in those two years?

czacza likes this.
  7. lily1989

lily1989 Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

I have very good recommendations from my previous schools even though I left them. I just do not think my current P will give me a good recommendation.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2017

Having a feeling you're going to be non-renewed two years in a row at two different schools is problematic. You were at your 'dream grade level' this year- how much help did you really need? you should know on Your own what the standards are...how did you not have no idea what 'units' you were to teach? a little reflection on your own role in both these experiences will help as you decide your next step. Good luck to you.

9. lily1989

lily1989 Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

no literacy curriculum.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2017

No standards of learning or no packaged literacy program?

11. lily1989

lily1989 Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

well i have my state standards and do what I can with that of course, but otherwise nothing.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2017

This would be something to research about future schools-what their philosophies and practices are. My school is based in a workshop model and we don't hire candidates who have only packaged program experience. If grade one was your dream, certainly you had some ideas on how to teach literacy? How did you approach this core and incredibly important content area?

13. lily1989

lily1989 Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

I used as many resources I could find. Whole group instruction focusing on state standards and DRAs to inform instruction for guided reading levels.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2017

And....
    Writing
    Word work
    Independent reading
    Conferring?

You are going to have to describe how you teach core content on any future interviews.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  15. lily1989

lily1989 Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

I feel confident in discussing those and showing evidence of my practice in an interview. I am more concerned with how I am going to look on paper, and with not getting a recommendation from my current P.