Being Denied Snacks as a form of Punishment

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by mom2my2cuties, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2006

It is illegal to withhold the scheduled "snack." However, I would have no problem not giving candy or ice cream to a brat.

2. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2006

I have no problems with that either!;)

3. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Mar 22, 2006

Well as a parent and a teachers aid why don't you donate some treats to the class, like small toys or games, that can be used as a behavior reinforcement. So that the teacher can have other alternatives.

I think you all are being a little hard on the teacher. Children need incentives and punishments for misbehavior. Maybe the teacher feels as if it is her only incentive. If you are sooo concerned provide her with other incentives and see how that goes.

We don't have recess or snacktime at my school, so sometimes i sit children out during free center time. Some may think that it is cruel--but you have to use a reward punishment for children.

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

jaszmyn, is it illegal here in WI to withhold food from a child NO MATTER WHAT when you're talking about a snack that is part of a program like in this situation...so here...it is not considered being hard on the teacher when it is the law.

Withholding a special treat, then yes, I can see a teacher doing that. But as a parent, if my son is suppose to be given and is expected to be having a snack every single day, I'd be PO'd if his was not given.

5. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Mar 22, 2006

Hi!

We do not have "snack" in my school. We do however earn a "treat" on Friday. That's the day I "cook" with my class, and if a student isn't behaving that day they will not receive the "treat". They know it. I know it. The aides know it. It isn't a question of being mean, it's following the rules to get a reward...

With that said, if a parent is providing a "snack" on a daily basis, I can in no way think that a teacher can take it away.

Kelly :)

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

I am very mean sometimes. When my kids don't listen I take their outside time away completely. I don't mess around and I have a very well behaved class because of it.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

Grammy, you're not mean!!!! You have high expectations for your kids, and that is a GOOD thing! Kids need to learn what is expected of them and that behavior that is rotten has a consequence to it.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

Oh I forgot that JANE is the MEAN one!!!

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

LOL!!!!!!! ya, you can't take that title away from Jane!!!!!!:p

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

Hahahaha! Hi Jane you old Meanie you...oh you're not really that mean...you stash peanut butter and jelly in you desk drawer for the hungry kids!!!

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

It's a front!

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

Jane, you've been exposed!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: We all now know the truth! You are a softie!!!!!!!:love:

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 22, 2006

We are going to have a banana split party at the end of the school year. From next Monday till the end of school the kids have a chance to earn each piece of a banana split starting with the bowl, then the spoon, then one scoop of ice cream, etc. There was some discussion that there will likely be some children who get the bowl and the spoon and Nothing Else! We were absolutely okay with that since they will have about ten weeks to earn it. Behavior tends to slip some right before school is out and I think we need all the tricks we can get to keep the kids in line and keep learning until that very last bell of the year.

As far as a child not getting cotton candy because of misbehaving, I have no problems with that either! A nutritious snack should not be withheld, but pure sugar sure can be!

14. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Mar 23, 2006

You mean giving the naughty ones vegetables and beans while the others have chocolate covered granola bars? lol j/k...I know what you mean.

I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you took away snacks because hungry tummies good students do not make BUT I have been known to take away snack time from those kids who do not behave DURING it.

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2006

teacherintexas, what will happen with the kids that don't earn the rest of the pieces?

When my son was in school he was always excluded from end of the year picnics or outings because of behavior issues. I once suggested it was the end of his year, too, so why couldn't they come up with a different form of punishment? The behavior occurred before the activity , so to me they shouldn't have taken him out of it.
    I always found it amusing- sarcastically speaking- that the kid he was in trouble with was allowed to go but he couldn't.