Being an assistant coach.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Aug 8, 2018 at 6:30 PM.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:30 PM

Is anyone an assistant coach for baseball? If so, what is the time commitment for being an assistant coach?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:28 PM

Pretty much the same as if you were the head coach. Some meetings, practices, and games - or at least that was my experience with being an assistant track coach.

BioAngel likes this.
  4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:55 PM

I know it comes to about a dollar an hour or used to in our district.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:55 PM

Were you able to do "family stuff" if it were known ahead of time? For instance, a band concert that my daughter is in but with my having a baseball game that same day?

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:11 PM

That’d depend on the head coach and the AD. If it’s a one time thing, you’d likely get at least a chance.

BioAngel likes this.
  7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:13 PM

The last time I figured it out for the hubs, it was about fifty cents an hour for one sport. The other two he coached were a little over a dollar.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:05 AM

Get your schedule ahead of time, plan out any special events, and talk to your head coach or AD about missing it or having a replacement. I'm going to be (assistant) coaching tennis this fall (first time coaching, never played tennis). I have my schedule knowing that practice will be most days from 3:45 to 6 and when we have tournaments (which is longer and on Saturdays or Sundays). I figured that I would do this now since I don't have any kids and we are trying to save for a house down payment, so anything I make will go straight into savings.

9. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:14 AM

Since you're the assistant coach, you may have some leeway in your schedule, but it would depend on your head coach. Our assistant basketball coach was able to get a few days off, but there was no way our assistant football coach would miss a game, simply because of the personalities of the head coaches.

I read an interesting article about teacher/coaches the other day. A study says that a teacher/coach will put more energy and time into coaching than into teaching because of external influences, such as: pressure from the athletes, parents, and communities. You have the public watching your every move, so there is much more of an emphasis on doing whatever you can to win. I think they were talking about head coaches, but I just found this interesting!

10. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:46 AM

Which is why I never coached much at all. I put so much energy into my PE job I knew I didnt have much left for the team job.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:58 AM

My family was involved in the sport, so i was doing family stuff. If I needed to be off, which I honestly can't remember happening, I would have had to clear it with the head coach. Since the sport was his life, he probably would have taken a dim view of having to miss a meet for a concert.