Being an assistant coach.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Aug 8, 2018

Is anyone an assistant coach for baseball? If so, what is the time commitment for being an assistant coach?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2018

Pretty much the same as if you were the head coach. Some meetings, practices, and games - or at least that was my experience with being an assistant track coach.

BioAngel likes this.
  4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2018

I know it comes to about a dollar an hour or used to in our district.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Aug 9, 2018

Were you able to do "family stuff" if it were known ahead of time? For instance, a band concert that my daughter is in but with my having a baseball game that same day?

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2018

That’d depend on the head coach and the AD. If it’s a one time thing, you’d likely get at least a chance.

BioAngel likes this.
  7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2018

The last time I figured it out for the hubs, it was about fifty cents an hour for one sport. The other two he coached were a little over a dollar.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 11, 2018

Get your schedule ahead of time, plan out any special events, and talk to your head coach or AD about missing it or having a replacement. I'm going to be (assistant) coaching tennis this fall (first time coaching, never played tennis). I have my schedule knowing that practice will be most days from 3:45 to 6 and when we have tournaments (which is longer and on Saturdays or Sundays). I figured that I would do this now since I don't have any kids and we are trying to save for a house down payment, so anything I make will go straight into savings.

9. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 11, 2018

Since you're the assistant coach, you may have some leeway in your schedule, but it would depend on your head coach. Our assistant basketball coach was able to get a few days off, but there was no way our assistant football coach would miss a game, simply because of the personalities of the head coaches.

I read an interesting article about teacher/coaches the other day. A study says that a teacher/coach will put more energy and time into coaching than into teaching because of external influences, such as: pressure from the athletes, parents, and communities. You have the public watching your every move, so there is much more of an emphasis on doing whatever you can to win. I think they were talking about head coaches, but I just found this interesting!

10. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2018

Which is why I never coached much at all. I put so much energy into my PE job I knew I didnt have much left for the team job.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2018

My family was involved in the sport, so i was doing family stuff. If I needed to be off, which I honestly can't remember happening, I would have had to clear it with the head coach. Since the sport was his life, he probably would have taken a dim view of having to miss a meet for a concert.