Behavior question help please

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sammyrams, Jun 14, 2010.

1. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jun 14, 2010

I have a student coming into my life skills middle school program who is non verbal and has many autistic behaviors. One of which is falling to the ground and staying there until he feels like it. So the information I got from the 5th grade teacher is that they let him stay on the ground wherever he may be in the school and hold his arm up in the air until he is ready to get up. Really? So I am supposed to lose an aide in my room for who knows how long (it has been said it has gone on for 45 min. or more) so he can sit on the floor. What does holding his arm up in the air do? Is it supposed to annoy him and make him want to get up? This has got me so confused, I have never heard of anything like this.

There has got to be a better way to handle this behavior. I don't let any of my other students do this. We lift them up safely and keep walking, we have had success with this with one of my students. Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

3. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jun 16, 2010

I do not work with kids functioning at this level, but in another life I worked with adults with similar needs. Maybe a picture behavior plan with rewards for remaining standing at appropriate times, and a set predictable time for laying down in a more appropriate place? Get a list from the 5th grade teacher of what he likes.

It is tough with a non-verbal kiddo, but maybe you can find out why he does this by doing a Functional Behavior Assessment, then write a Behavior Intervention plan. Or has this been done already? Maybe he wants 1-1 attention, maybe he has sensory overload, maybe he just needs to be distracted into a more desired behavior?

I agree that I would not want to continue the plan from the last school.

Best of luck.
    L.