Behavior Management Plan for 3rd & 4th Combo Special Needs Class

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by SPED TCHR, Aug 9, 2006.

1. SPED TCHR

SPED TCHR Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

This is my 2nd year teaching and Classroom Management has been my problem. I teach at a NPS for students with Emotional Disturbance, Behavior Problems, other Special Needs, and Learning Disabilities. I taught a 6th & 7th grade combo last year and this year I am teaching a 3rd & 4th grade combo. I only have 8 students...and max at 12! I have the "Caught Being Good" but I need something else...I tried points that counted towards "class store" it was a nightmare...but I am up for any suggestions!

Please help!! :)

Thanks!:D

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 18, 2006

Have you looked at http://www.redandgreenchoices.com? It's a great website that has visual cues for behavior choices and the best part, it puts the student in charge of making choices. I would also suggest that you look at your students individual IEP's and see if any have a Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP). I would document and collect data DAILY for these students too. You are working with students with ED (emotional disturbance) and they need to be in charge of their own behavior. If you give them choices, they can't use the excuse "he/she made me do it, I wasn't in control of myself, ect!" I would also suggest the following book: Difficult to Teach, Difficult to Reach by Sylvia Rockwell. This is an EXCELLENT resource for teachers of students with severe behavior problems. I hope these suggestions are helpful.

Troy in Downey, Ca
    AspieTeacher (I embrace my autism)

4. SPED TCHR

SPED TCHR Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will definitely look into those.

Thanks again,
    Anie