Behavior expectations video

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jillwinters, Jun 14, 2018.

1. jillwinters

jillwinters New Member

Jun 14, 2018

Hello,
    I teach at a Middle School and am currently the PBIS (School Climate) Coach. I am looking for either videos or ideas to create a video on 'How students should behave at school or in areas at school". The secretary in my office thought that a continuous video can be run in the admin office for several helpful reasons:
    1. Reminders for those students who tend to misbehave and are sent to admin
    2. This video can play at the beginning of the year to go over expectations
    3. We have students enrolling every week. Administration walks them around campus, but this video can also be helpful
    4. Parents can view it with their kids at home from the website

Does anyone do something like this? Do you have a sample video? Or any recommendations?
    Any help would be great!
    Thank you!

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 15, 2018

I teach in an elementary pbis school, but our coach has a group of students that helped to make a video for our school. The students go through the school wide behavior expectations, then walk around the school and talk about how those expectations look in the hallway, cafeteria, etc..

Our sped teacher also had her social skills group create a brochure with the same info that’s placed in the front office

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 15, 2018

I think that is an excellent idea! It suddenly reminded me of my early psychology classes and experiments done concerning modeling. I especially like the idea of a student created project. Personally, I think I'd include teachers and principals in the student created project. Perhaps along with descriptions, show actual demonstrations of ideal behavior and decorum.

One alteration I'd suggest, perhaps a continuously running video might lose its effectiveness. In today's society, kids (and adults) are exposed to many constantly running ads and messages, and our brains eventually begin to block them out. That's not to say they don't have their effectiveness in advertising, because the more one hears something, the more one tends to believe it, but even that tactic has its drawbacks and limits. Continuous ads need to follow specific structures in order to be effective. Concerning a behavioral video, the brain seeks novelty for learning, and novel misbehavior might trump redundant proper behavioral guidance from the continuous video.

New students seek to fit in, and viewing how the total school population fits in can be a great comfort for them. Each school has its own climate and they will soak in much information from watching actual students proceed through a day at school.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 15, 2018

My assistant principal was talking about doing something similar. Her plan was to have some of the older students take the lead on this. It will be filmed with our students, in our setting, with our expectations. I think that's your best bet as opposed to than finding something generic.