Been offered a job outside of education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ozzy33, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Ozzy33

Ozzy33 New Member

Dec 8, 2017

It's a great opportunity that I can't pass up. They want me start yesterday. Who in my district do I talk to about the possibility of leaving my contract early? If I do leave early, what ramifications will that have on my remaining pay (I've always been paid over a 12 month period), sick days accumulated, and health insurance benefits? I'd like to not burn the bridge, but I may have to. Any advice?

3. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2017

Your principal, then HR

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 9, 2017

This will depend upon the district and state. Sometimes it will depend upon your certification area too.

Several teachers have left mid year at my school. We are expected to give a 30 day notice. If we do not, the state can revoke our teaching license.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

Public school, private school, or charter? Often makes a difference on exit strategies.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 9, 2017

Some school districts will go after your license if you leave without giving advanced notice, which is usually 30-60 days. If your license is temporarily suspended, then you will be unable to teach in public schools for the remainder of the academic school year.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 9, 2017

HR will know for sure. In the districts I've worked in, you forfeit one month's pay if you resign during the contract period. Of course everywhere is different, so you need to contact HR In your district to see what they say. FWIW, I don't see any way you can leave mid-year without burning bridges.

vickilyn likes this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

If by burning bridges OP simply means losing the teaching license, that is a different matter. By the way, people who hire from education know about what is involved.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 9, 2017

Check your contract.

czacza likes this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

If in a union, check with one of your reps-they know your contract best.
    In my district, 60 days notice is in contract. We get paid twice a month for school year.
    On a twelve month pay schedule, they'd presumably owe you for days worked and any pay that would have been 'earned' for those days but not due until summer. Benefits typically end when you leave. You'll most likely lose sick days.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 10, 2017

If you have been granted tuition reimbursement, most schools have a mandatory time frame that you are obligated to remain employed by the school. That may or may not be relevant in your case, but it is something others may need to consider if they have been educated on the district's dime.