Becoming a CA substitute teacher

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Judith, Jan 13, 2018 at 5:08 PM.

1. Judith

Judith New Member

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:08 PM

Hi,

I am in the process of doing all that needs to be done in order to substitute teach in California. I have signed up to take the CBEST test in February (soonest date available in my area). I have a B.S. in Management Information Systems, but do not have a teaching credential. Therefore, I would need to get the 30-day permit.

I have noticed that the surrounding school districts have somewhat different requirements, one of which requires subs to take a Substitute Training Program course through Utah State University, or another that requires letters of recommendation. I will fulfill all of the various requirements of each, but am wondering whether getting any other credentials would help. For example, would the CSET Multiple Subject exam help? PRAXIS? Other?

I have not worked for pay in over 20 years. I was a homeschool mom who officially "graduated" ;) last year. I did a lot of volunteer work teaching - I taught a speech group to homeschoolers for a couple of years and I have taught all age levels, children through adult, in formal religious education courses in the Catholic church. These were school year length, weekly classes.

I can put my homeschooling experience, and include that my college freshman daughter is a UC Regent's Scholar (and was also offered the Regent's at another UC) as a sort of "proof" of my teaching ability. I did design and teach a couple of her AP classes (she took some online as well), which I'm hoping might mean something as she got 5s on all of her exams. Any other suggestions?

I found through my years of volunteer teaching that I LOVE teaching, and am looking forward to starting a new chapter of teaching in my life.

I will appreciate any feedback, suggestions, and tips. Thanks!

3. Anny

Anny Rookie

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:48 PM

For me, I sub in the Los Angeles district, so hopefully, I can help. :)

These are what is listed on the CTC website (ctc.ca.gov):

- CBEST is required. Some districts like it if you have your CSET scores, but it isn't a requirement.
    - Transcript(s) from the college you graduated from.
    - Completed application
    - Live Scan receipt
    - Application processing fee of $100 (+2.50 service fee)

I think it takes about 2 months to get your application processed. If you look on the website, it says that it is now servicing apps from October.

I think once you have these, contact your school district with your 30-day permit and they will add you to their sub list. You can choose which district(s) you want to work in. The good thing is that you have a lot of teaching experience, but it won't necessarily help you when they pick subs because there isn't a profile to choose you from, or at least from what I understand.

Do you plan on applying to a credential program while substituting? If so, I would begin studying for the CSET as well or after you pass the CBEST. When I was in undergrad, I found out that if I passed a writing section on the CSET, then that satisfied the CBEST. Meaning, I would not only have to pass all three subtests of the CSET, but also a writing subtest. I don't know if that's changed or not. If it hasn't and you're not in much of a hurry, I'd focus on taking the CSET plus the writing subtest.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:01 PM

The state sets a minimum: nobody substitutes in any California public school without having a bachelor's degree and satisfying the basic skills requirement. That's for the 30-day license, which is what most of us first think of when we think of substituting: the person who takes over for a day or a week while a teacher is felled with the flu or attending his daughter's wedding out of state. Districts are free to be pickier: the tonier suburban districts in my area tend to want to see a credential, which generally means the requisite CSET and a credential program, but the urban districts don't insist on it. In other words, the variation is normal.

Long-term substituting - which means the sub is functioning as teacher of record in the classroom (choosing curriculum, giving official grades), is a different matter: that requires a credential.

Passing Praxis won't open any doors in California, except possibly for private schools.

Have you considered applying to the local Catholic schools?

5. Judith

Judith New Member

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:26 PM

Hi Anny,

I didn't know it took CTC that long to process. Thanks for the heads up. I think I will look at other testing locations and see if I can find a sooner test date.

Both of the school districts that I looked at in my area use EDJOIN, which includes your employment history. This is from one of the websites:

"After you have completed your online application through Edjoin, Human Resources will screen your application for consideration. You will be contacted via email if you meet the requirements to be considered as sub. In this email you will receive a new hire packet along with the guest teacher handbook and orientation appointment information."

I'm a little concerned they will screen me right out since I have a lack of official employment history. Or, honestly, that they won't be big on the fact that my teaching experience has been limited to the arenas of homeschool and religion. I know stereotypes exist. I was certainly never an anti-public school homeschooler, and did volunteer as a AP exam proctor for our local high school (not for exams my daughter took!)

I'm not sure about whether I will pursue credentialing. I've looked into a couple of options. I will check on your tip regarding whether the writing/CSET/CBEST option is still viable!

6. Judith

Judith New Member

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:59 PM

Hi TeacherGroupie,

I am going to contact our Diocese as soon as I get my 30 day permit! Thanks for the reality check as far as pickier districts.