Bathroom Talk

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Aug 8, 2018.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 8, 2018

Now this is not the thread about being able to leave your class to use the bathroom as I believe that has been discussed ad nauseam in the past.

I teach in a high school. I would estimate that our faculty is probably around 30-35% male and 65-70% female. There are only 4 faculty restrooms in the building (all spread apart) for 150-200 faculty members. In one of the faculty rooms, I constantly see women using the men's room because there always seems to be a wait for the women's room. One day, however, it was the opposite. I was waiting to use the men's room, but the women's room was free. A female colleague told me "why don't you just use the women's room instead of waiting, it's all the same..." I told her that was okay, I can wait, and pretended to play with my phone. I would have felt awkward/creepy using the women's room, but the women use the men's room constantly. I think it would be better to maybe just make both of the rooms unisex, but as is, I stick to the men's room. Is this an issue in your school? Are you comfortable going into the restroom of the opposite sex?

I should clarify: The restrooms are each just for 1 person so it's not like you'd see a member of the opposite sex when you go in.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2018

Our staff restrooms are unisex--it only makes sense.

czacza and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 8, 2018

Our staff bathrooms are unisex, but I've never had problems going in a single-person women's room if the men's room was occupied. I would, of course, take extra care to make sure the door locked.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 8, 2018

Our bathrooms are also unisex. It makes the most sense to me. I've never been one who cares about that though, especially for single restrooms that are more like a powder room in your house. I always just wish everyone would do their best to keep them neat!

TrademarkTer likes this.
  6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 8, 2018

One of my female colleagues actually remarked, after coming out of the men's room, how much cleaner it was than the women's room. I found that to be surprising.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 8, 2018

Ours are unisex. I've seen it all, though: from unsightly clogged toilets to bodily fluids all over the seat. We're talking about adult restrooms!

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 8, 2018

I'm guessing unisex is the norm in elementary where the women vastly outnumber the men.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2018

Unisex/single restrooms are also the norm for staff in the high schools I have visited as well.

I'll also add that our single restrooms also serve as gender-neutral restrooms for students.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 8, 2018

Yeah women can be pretty gross! I've seen both types of restrooms just be absolutely disgusting. The locker room at the gym I belonged to for a little bit was awful. I don't know if the men's was any better but the women's locker room was one reason I was only there for a month or so!

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 8, 2018

We have two unisex staff bathrooms for about 100 people. It is not possible to make it there and back between classes, so staff and students use the same bathrooms.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 8, 2018

We have two sets of staff restrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs. We have more women than men in our faculty.

Most of the time I use the student bathrooms because I'm so far from the faculty bathrooms. However, I've used the men's faculty bathroom multiple times. I don't like to, though, because they don't have the nice soap.

13. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 8, 2018

We have men's and women's faculty bathrooms: men's upstairs, women's are downstairs. There is also a unisex restroom in the teacher's lounge. As a female teacher who teaches upstairs, I have used the men's faculty bathroom in times of desperation. I have also used the student restroom, as it is closer to me than the teacher's lounge. I practically NEVER use the teacher's lounge restroom since there is usually someone eating there and I think it is awkward.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2018

Since my bathroom breaks are seldom, I would use any available restroom without thinking twice about it. Our student bathrooms are closer to me, so that is what I use. Since only one student per gender is allowed out per time, the staff in the hall can simply hold female students for the nanosecond that I am in there. If I finally found time for a bathroom break, and only the designated men's one person bathroom was open, you better believe that I would have no problem opening that door with my key!

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2018

Our faculty restrooms are unisex, and are all single person.