Bathroom/Hands

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teach10, Sep 4, 2008.

1. teach10

teach10 Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

I was wondering how you manage students going to the bathroom if you don't have one in your classroom. Do you make them signout on a sheet? Do you allow them to go only a certain number of times in a day? Do you make them go only at recess or lunch unless it is an emergency? Do you take the whole class before a recess or lunch? Do you have them wash hands before lunch and if so do you send a few at a time or does the whole class go? Thanks for your advice!

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Sep 4, 2008

We are just a few feet away from the bathroom. I have students put up a clothespin to show that they have gone to the bathroom. I don't only let them go a certain amount b/c you never know if they really need to or not and I don't want them to have an accident. I don't take the whole class b/c we are so close. When I was farther away I did before lunch and after recess usually.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 4, 2008

Kids have a chance to while they are putting up their backpacks. They can go before recess. They can go after lunch. After that if they really have to go, they can during seat work as long as it is one at a time. They cannot go during a lesson.

5. lolabear1

lolabear1 Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

If my students get to school early, they are allowed to go before the last bell rings.

We take one bathroom break in the morning, one after lunch, and one about an hour before school is over.

I still have students who need to go at other times. If they rarely ask to go, I let them go without any consequence. If they are constantly going in the middle of class, I let them go but they have to pull their conduct clip. Usually, they decide not to go if it is not an emergency. If they still go, I usually let them move their clip up at the end of the day (unless I think they are catching on to this!)

This system seems to work. I have a very small number of students who leave during class to use the restroom and have never had any accidents (knock on wood!)