Bathroom breaks!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Apr 20, 2017

Adult diapers?? That is ridiculous and it sounds like that school was breaking the law.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  2. TeachDW

TeachDW Rookie

Apr 21, 2017

I definitely agree with you. In fact, I suffered Urinary Tract Infection before because I was only able to visit the restroom once during that day. I ended up 4 days hospital due to severe infection.
    Did your school allow it already?

3. rpan

rpan Comrade

Apr 21, 2017

More often than I care to mention, I go to the bathroom at 6am when I'm getting ready for school and don't get to go till 4pm because I'm just busy with teaching, students wanting to see me for one thing or another at breaks and after school I'm just too caught up with all things that I think I've just trained myself to not drink too much during the day and not go to the bathroom.

That being said my P and AP are really supportive in the sense that if we desperately need a bathroom break in the middle of a lesson, I only have to ring up the front office and they come supervise the class for 5 minutes while you go. But the bottom line is we never leave a classroom unattended, including getting another teacher to supervise two classes at the same time. If something should happen, it would be all sorts of bad and unfair to put the other teacher in that position.

Backroads likes this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2017

I had a colleague across the hall who taught 2nd grade and DID just leave them when she had to go. I remember walking back to my room after dropping my kids off at specials and I walked by and saw she was walking away from her room and I was like... ''do you want me to watch your kids for you?'' she really didn't give a f_ about anything. and she had some crazies in that room.
    :roll::rofl:

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 21, 2017

Bless you all! If I need to go, I go! It wouldn't be a pretty sight if I had to wait until my "potty break". :rofl:

I guess Depends is an option! I can see the commercials for it now...

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Apr 21, 2017

The teachers at my site are really good about watching each other's classes when someone needs to run to the restroom (both teachers will keep their doors open and watch the two classes while the other goes to the bathroom).

The longest stretch of time anyone has to wait is 2.5 hours--but when you have to go, you have to go. When I was a classroom teacher, my next door neighbor knew my bathroom signal: I'd nod at her, keep her door propped open, and power walk to the office. We didn't even have to say a word to each other!

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Apr 21, 2017

I think the problem that I have is the students are all SPED, with literally 1 minute between classes, and not enough aides to go around. They are more than willing to help, but if enough people are out, there is no one to help. Our rooms are not adjoining, so no easy nod in an emergency. I take a lot of kidding about being part camel, but it is simply necessity. Our students can only go one student per gender at a time, called from a list in order requested. This is an environment where we need eyes on students at all times, and that is just a fact. I always try to get out right before I have students, but sometimes that fails to happen.

8. TeachDW

TeachDW Rookie

Apr 23, 2017

It's really a hard thing because teachers don't have enough time to do their business. It's just nerve-racking. Some school's restroom policy is just unbelievable.