Bathroom Breaks for Teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2017

I drink a fair amount of sparkling water throughout the day. I've almost completely cut my caffeine intake (an occasional Diet Coke if I feel like I really need it), because caffeine is a diuretic. I chug water all evening once I get home to make up for what I don't get to drink during the school day.

2. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 7, 2017

[QUOTE="Danny'sNanny, I've asked a teacher that has a student teacher if one of them can check on me once in a while[/QUOTE]

Yes, they should check on you, at least once an hour, Danny. It's been many years since I've been pregnant, but I think I use to have "fake urges" to use the potty, but I really didn't have to, it just felt like I did. That can be an uncomfortable problem. Using Depends or just a light napkin might be enough.
    Good luck

3. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 7, 2017

Their guidelines are just that: Guidelines. Employers can often choose to ignore them, or interpret them in a manner harmful to employees.

This is more a consequence of NEA weakness than OHSA guidelines.

4. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Sep 8, 2017

I'm so sorry you can't find someone else who you can trade breaks with. It would be ideal if you had a buddy and you could watch their class, vice versa. I probably go every two hours. I do have four morning classes, but I can go during the passing period. I do have kids coming in and out of my room, but it takes me probably less than a minute. If I had to, I could lock my door and have students wait outside. If I had to really go to the bathroom and couldn't find any adult in the hallway, I would call our secretary for coverage. Are these any teachers on a planning period who could relieve you? Any building subs or paras who might be free. I have grabbed people in the hallway when I had to go in class and couldn't wait. I've also covered for people in the restroom.

Four plus hours without a break is ridiculous. No female teacher at my school could withstand that as we all seem to drink a lot of water:) When I subbed, I did limit my water because I didn't really know what my schedule would be.

This is an extreme solution, but if you cannot find someone to give you breaks, you can take a pill. From a web search: "Medications, such as anticholinergics, can control overactive bladder (OAB) by relaxing bladder muscles. OAB drugs, which are most common in tablet form, also help prevent urine leaks by controlling bladderspasms." A relative who is a MD gave them to all of my female relatives on a long vacation. We've taken them on trips and they helped a lot during a traffic jam. Without the pills, my aunt seems to go to the br, every twenty minutes. (No, she was never a teacher!) I would assume that any doctor would say that you should go more often to avoid bladder infections. I would really consider discussing this with my principal/union.