Bad timing . . .

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 2, 2010

I'm feeling whiny, pouty, and very much like letting loose with a whiny chorus like my middle school kiddos are famous for.

Today was the first district inservice day for my school. We had PD again tomorrow, and open house is tomorrow night. Opening day is Wednesday.

We got a new dress code TODAY. Now, I really don't have a problem with the code. It's basically a "no" list, and nothing on it is anything that is unreasonable. In fact, most of it seems like common sense, which some people lack, apparently. Of the items on my list, really only a couple of them really make a difference for me on a regular basis, and two more are things that are rare items.

But to tell us TODAY? And for it to go into effect NOW? That would have been something really nice to have known during the summer when I actually had time to shop . . . and before I bought some of the wrong things.

It's not like I live in a large town where stores are readily available. If I were lucky, I might could have found something 20 miles from here. Otherwise, I'd be heading 50 miles.

We bought school t-shirts to wear for open house tomorrow. We were going to wear them with jeans or khaki pants. Most of us had matching flip flops for the t-shirts. So . . . no t-shirts, no flip flops, and no jeans. Plan B with the outfits.

I bought a pair of brown tone on tone pinstripe dress bermudas to wear on the first day. (paired with heels and a blouse) The bermudas had a matching jacket, but they didn't have it in my size. :( No shorts. Plan B on the first day outfit.

I swear to you that those are things I don't even wear that often normally. Who knew that banning so few items from my wardrobe would have cause me to be such a big whiny butt? :blush:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2010

How odd, fellow Kentuckian. I'll PM you. :)

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 2, 2010

Hmm... I wonder where this all came from.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2010

You're absolutely right to be annoyed.

The timing is horrible.

6. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 3, 2010

Good Grief~ I would be miffed also!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2010

Can you return the items that don't meet dress code?

8. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2010

I hope you get something just as cute that's in-code for both days. That is definitely very cruddy of them!

9. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

Boo! I don't see a problem with wearing a school tshirt and jeans on an open house night. In fact, I would almost prefer it because it presents a unified look to the parents and students.

My school just adopted standardized dress for the kids, and they're not quite sure what that means for us yet. They're thinking that since we're expected the students to dress professionally, we need to as well. I agree with that, and have bought some nicer clothes in preparation, but I really hope they don't ban jeans on Friday. The district policy has been that if a school has the highest rating, that school can have more jeans days to celebrate. We have the highest rating, and I want my Friday jeans days!

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 3, 2010

Well, we all showed up to work today in dress-code appropriate clothing and lived to tell the tale. Some of the teachers did still wear their school t-shirts today, only without jeans and flip flops. None of my pants were casual enough for a t-shirt, so I ended up in a skirt & blouse.

I have already worn all of the clothes I bought, so I can't take them back. I can wear the dress shorts to church, and I can wear the narrow strap shirts to school with a cardigan or jacket. I guess I'll use my new school t-shirt when I mow the grass. :rolleyes:

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2010

That does stink that they waited until now to tell you. Blech. Someone has very bad timing.