Bad reference/ No reference

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachis4m3, Apr 24, 2017.

?

What should I do

Poll closed May 8, 2017.
  1. Get A Lawyer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It will be Ok

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. I had something similar happen to me and I am teaching still; Don't worry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2017

Can you explain why you think that this is relevant to your situation?

2. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Apr 26, 2017

Teachers Anyone can get access to emails of a principal and any other public employee unless it is a part of a protected class of information.
    You don't need any reason to access it other than making a request.
    It will cost money though if anyone asks for printed copies.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2017

It sounds as though you are saying (but trying not to say) that you are being let go or are not getting a positive reference because of racial discrimination. I'm also inferring that you believe that there is evidence of this in emails and that you are wanting to request (demand?) copies of those emails. A couple of things to consider:
    - what is it you are hoping will happen?
    - do you really want to work for someone or in a district that will discriminate in such a manner
    - are you 100% positive that this is the sole reason for poor references or for losing your position at the school?
    - is your understanding that you should have full access to the principal's email just because you ask?
    - how are job openings, or cuts, handled as per your contract? Here, the person with the lowest seniority is always the first to go; job performance, evaluations, test scores, etc, don't figure in at all.

If you decide to pursue anything through legal channels, please be aware that the education world is very, very small and your actions could have a significant impact on your ability to move on and secure another position. If you are concerned about what is, or isn't, being said in a reference letter, you don't likely want it to include that you brought a lawsuit against your previous employer.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Apr 29, 2017

I got a really good end of year evaluation a few days ago (It would be good for a veteran teacher).
    I would not want to work for the administrator I had in the beginning of the year again.

I also looked up lawsuits for people who sued the district.
    They all have teaching positions.
    The smallness of the education world also knows bad districts.
    Do we want bad districts to continue be bad or do we want to hold them accountable?
    The kids suffer if we do not.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2017

So, you got a really good end of year evaluation but you want to sue the school district?

6. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

May 1, 2017

Possibly,
    The person who wrote the summative is not causing the issues and is bound by their superior. That person would give a good reference if they could. Proficient -Distinguished coupled with above avg effect size.

7. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Jul 7, 2017

:update:
    That administrator was asked to seek other opportunities outside of the district.
    "You are a new teacher. As such, they can terminate you for whatever reason they choose and they don't have to tell you why."
    As it turns out, they do have to.
    I was asked to stay within the district.

Remember what we tell our students, show me your evidence for your conclusion.

SageScience likes this.
  8. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Jul 8, 2017

The quieter a nonrenewal goes, and it sounds like you were nonrenewed, the better. I'm not super familiar with Utah tenure laws, but in most states the contract you sign says you are being employed for the 20XX-20YY school year. Barring other issues for immediate termination, you are obligated and have a right to work for that school year. Being nonrenewed is not a big deal. Your principal (or whoever is in charge of contract renewals) can say that you're not getting a new contract the next year for just about any reason.

However, making a big deal about a nonrenewal is a big deal. Having a legacy of trying to fight a nonrenewal, especially legally, puts a big "do not hire" stamp on your head.

Edit: I see that this is an old thread, and I overlooked your response. I'm glad things worked out for you, and it seems that there was actual wrongdoing to you. That being said, I think that my comments still stand in the event that you find yourself not having a contract when you're in an nontenured position. Just remember, don't work for someone who doesn't want you there.

vickilyn likes this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2017

From your OP, it seems you created some of your own problems