back to school welcome letter?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by km51571, Aug 24, 2008.

1. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 24, 2008

What should every back to school welcome letter include?

I'm still writing mine and I just don't know what to include!

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

I have PreSchoolers, so my Welcome letter is LONG!

I include an introduction, expectations and encourage parents to stay in contact with me if they have any questions, etc...

4. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 24, 2008

Is this a letter you will give to students? Or is is a letter for the parents that you want to use to explain your policies?
    I plan on writing to both, a short letter to the kids, and a longer letter to parents explaining policies. I would say just make each as long as they need to be to cover what needs to be covered. I would def include your behavior and homework policies, as well as the school policies on absences etc.
    Good Luck!

5. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I always hide a *mistake* in my letter (I'm an English teacher) and challenge the kids to find it. Since my letter is fairly long, I want to make sure they actually read it all the way through. This is one way to encourage them to do so.

6. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I do both. In parents' I include a daily schedule, information about Boxtops for Education, my discipline/homework policy (I mentioned Homeworkopoly), AR goals and expectations, contact information (website, school phone, etc), binder information, conference times,...weekly test schedule, when I send work home, snacks, arrival/departure, how I do each subject....anything that I think will be helpful to parents. I try to begin and end positively. This year I used a newsletter format instead of a letter. I got a lot of ideas from other teacher webpages. Here are some places to look:
    http://www.melodyshaw.com/TopSites.html
    http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/classsiteofthemonth.htm
    http://pub48.bravenet.com/freelink/show.php?usernum=4095418472

In the students' letter, I typed a half/page letter with cute clipart welcoming them to my class, we're going to have fun and learn a lot, blah, blah, blah, the usual....

7. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 24, 2008

Both letters are kept to a page each. The kids includes a welcome, we'll have fun this year, what to bring the first day
    (a pic of something they did this summer and a favorite read aloud book), and first day info. on start time and lunch. The parent letter includes a welcome, working together, start/end times, and lunch. There is a third sheet...student info. sheet for parents to complete with currents numbers, etc. So many times the office info. is out dated. Parents get a four-6 page handout on Parent Night (Thurs. of the first week) with details on rules, curriculum, etc.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 25, 2008

I used to write a LONG letter (6 pages) at the beginning of every year, but parents never seemed to remember or actually do everything I ask.

So I made a very brief letter-- lunches, homework, backpacks, attendance, anything relevant to the very first week and a half of school. I am going to be sending more information each week and linking it to my website. It's helpful that it's now on a website, but people don't need to do that. Each week I am going to give them a classroom update and a little chunk of the most relevant information for that time. As we start one thing I'll add the information for the parents.

I think this will be a lot easier for them, and hopefully they won't be so overwhelmed! I am going to keep each letter to one page!