Back to school tomorrow!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 1, 2014

Man, I'm going to miss sleeping late. ;)

I know some of you don't go back until Monday, but is anyone else back tomorrow like me?

It looks like we might be getting a major snowstorm on Friday, so it's possible we might only be back for one day and then off for a snow day. I actually don't want that. If we don't use our snow days, we get extra days off in May or June. I'd rather have the days off then when I can really enjoy them.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 1, 2014

OMG that is crazy! I have it until the 13th, and I'm so glad.
    When did your school year start?

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2014

My old school district goes back tomorrow. I was on the calendar committee. It had to do with final exams- elementary and middle school teachers wanted to have the rest of the week off, but the high school teachers and a few high school students had a fit.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 1, 2014

I'm going back tomorrow. It's bitterly cold here. The low tonight is -32F, and today the HIGH is 4F. Chilly! But I don't think we're due for anymore snow in the next few days.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2014

My kids go back tomorrow, though my money is on a snow day for Friday.

So tomorrow we'll take down the tree while the kids are at school; I've spent most of today so far taking everything else down. (I wanted to get the outside lights down before the snowfall and the bitter cold hit. We don't have an outside outlet...next summer's construction will add one. So our Christmas lights involve running a line though a window that's cracked open. Enough already-- temps are suppossed to really DROP with this torm.)

Jersey, doesn't your district build in a snow day or two? I think the standard around here is to build in 2.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 1, 2014

We get five snow days. We've already used three!

We go back Monday. I'm so glad. We did exams before break-I really prefer it.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 1, 2014

Teachers go back Friday.
    Students on Monday.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 1, 2014

Yes, we build in 3 days. So, if any or all are unused, they give them to us as extra days off in May and June. So, I prefer for them to be unused. I'd rather have a day off on a beautiful, sunny day in May than a frigid, dark day in January - especially when we're just coming off of a week and a half off. But, whatever will be, will be. :)

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 1, 2014

We go back Monday and I'm glad. I'm not ready yet!

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2014

I'm back tomorrow as well. I think we are getting a minor amount of snow Thursday afternoon, but not enough for a Friday snow day.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2014

We go back Mon. I work a three day week the first week back and then two four day weeks. I'm trying to use up my accrued leave time before I retire. Will be taking a few extra days at Spring Break and then a bunch of four day weeks after state testing. If I don't use them, I lose them...

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2014

Why so long?

Teachers on Monday, students Tuesday.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 1, 2014

We started Aug. 12th and finish June 6th. Had 1 week off for TG, 3 weeks for winter break, 1 week and 1 day for Spring break and the usual 1 day holidays. Overall it's 182 days.

I don't know how, but in San Diego school usually started 1 week later but ended 3 weeks later in June, with the same days for holidays, and I think they had about the same days, 182 maybe 186.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 1, 2014

I go back Monday and my kids come back Wednesday .

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  16. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 1, 2014

We go 9/9 - 6/23, 180 days.

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2014

Ok, we had a 2 day fall break in October, a week for TG, 2 weeks for winter, 3 days for Mardi Gras, & 1 week & day in the spring. I don't think I've ever heard of 3 weeks in winter except in year-round schools.

18. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 1, 2014

Teachers and students back Monday 1/6/14 for us...

My old district goes back tomorrow. So happy to be where I am right now, because I am not quite done with my to do list for the break...I hope to have it about 90% complete by Monday :)

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2014

We're looking at 5-10 inches of snow tonight; the blizzard warning is up until noon Friday.There's already a coating on the ground.

So the odds are overwhelming that my kids will have a single day of school followed by a long weekend-- not a bad way to ease back from Christmas.

And I'll be around to pick up my son, who lives This * * much shy of a mile from the school and doesn't get a bus.

We go back Monday, so this storm is "wasted snow" for the kids of my school and my husband's.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 2, 2014

Jerseygirlteach, Fri., the 3rd is an odd day to return!

My school starts back Tues., the 7th & I go back Thurs., the 9th. (Was off starting the 23rd.) I'm happy to say that my Christmas breaks every year actually feel like I've had a nice little break away! I still don't want to return, but for me, I only have to drive to work 2 days a week for the rest of this school year! :D

21. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2014

Wow! I've never heard of a fall break in October or time off for Mardi Gras.
    I started the last week of Aug and go till June 13. We don't get a fall break or Mardi Gras. We only get two days for TG, we do get two weeks in Dec and one week off in April.

How many days do you work per year?