Back to School Night Tips

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 25, 2018

I've found that there are 1-2 kids that will come for me IF I call their parents and remind the kids. Sometimes I call the parents and remind the kids and they still do not come. I feel like there is not much I can do from here...

2. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2018

There probably isn't . You can't force them to come.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 26, 2018

As a high school teacher, I absolutely HATE when the kids come to me for extra help because their parents force them to. These sessions usually aren't productive as the kids don't generally want to be there, and they don't usually have specific things they want me to help them with. I know some teachers in my department provide strong hints about what's on the test during extra help, but that's against my philosophy. I think some kids come for extra help expecting I will just have the magic bullet for them so they don't have to do any work on their own.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 26, 2018

It's also frustrating when parents send kids on days when it is NOT your extra help day. That's happened to a bunch of teachers at my school. I told all of the kids this week that extra help is Tuesday. I've had a long week so I do not want to stay late with any kids tomorrow...I'm probably going to "hide" in the staff room at dismissal.