Back to School Night Tips

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 3, 2018

Does anyone have any tips for back to school night? I am super nervous as it will be my first time meeting parents as the teacher. I look young for my age as well which makes me nervous.

So far, I have a slide on grading, classroom expectations, communication, and classroom donations (tissues/hand sanitizer). Should I also talk about my philosophy of teaching? I would also like to work in ways that parents can help their kids on math at home. I have a blank slide that says curriculum but I have no idea what to write because my school doesn't have a curriculum. I have about 12 minutes and I want to make sure I can fill the time!

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 3, 2018

I always have some kind of form for them to fill out about their child during my presentation. This way they aren't just staring at me the whole time ;) I know you work in a low-income area so I'm guessing there is a good chance turn out may be low.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 3, 2018

I asked and they said about half the parents show up for 6th grade. I'm not sure how many will actually come because it starts at 4pm.

I love the idea of a form! Thanks!!

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 3, 2018

I give my parents a T/F test on my class and make them record their answers. Then I go item by item in the "test" and explain how my class works. Since they took the test, they are very interested in the answers. They are allowed to change their answers as I go down the list. Some of the items are humorous.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 3, 2018

I always used half the time to go over my course and half the time to mingle with parents. Ours was after school started, so I had student work posted that they could look at while I met each one one on one. A lot of parents told me how much they appreciated that. It also helped put names to faces.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 3, 2018

I really wanted to post student work but it will only be my 3rd day of real academic classes...and one of the days will be testing. I don't have anything in my lesson plans so far that I would be able to put up yet. :(

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 3, 2018

Maybe the parents could make something you could post for the kids? A web, brainstorming all the ways we use math in everyday life? I don’t know - just trying to think of a way to fill the time!

Also, for curriculum, link to your state standards, or whatever you use to guide your teaching. We don’t use boxed curricula here, we simply have provincial learning outcomes. They are all posted online, so I include a link for those in my handouts.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 3, 2018

I forget what subject you teach, but I had them fill out a getting to know you sheet but it was a fill in the blank poem set up. On the first day now, I usually have them set goals for the year and hang them on our board.

10. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Sep 3, 2018

If you are nervous about parent questions I have been advised to make sure your presentation runs the WHOLE time. This way they do not have time to ask questions.

As others said leave a get to know you sheet for them to fill out and say they can email questions to you if things went unanswered.

11. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 3, 2018

I make sure they have my school email and know how to get onto the schools grading platform to check their kids grade. I also give them tips on ways they might help their kid to practice skills for the class. I'm not math, and I'm HS, but the questions are probably the same. How is my little one behaving? How can they ace the class? I remind parents that we are a team and I explain how the classes they have now are preparing them for college classes. But I speak fast - My whole presentation is about ten minutes but then with translation it lasts 20! and then there are usually questions.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 3, 2018

We just have people in and out, so I have a presentation running with my Remind code, supply list, and basics about class. Most people don’t even look at it.

Ours is before school begins, though. We tried having parents come in and sit for a presentation once. They hated it.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2018

We don't do formal presentations--being a K-8 school, we found it challenging to come up with a schedule that allowed parents with multiple children at the school to attend presentations in more than one classroom. Now, our Meet the Teacher night is very informal; more an Open House. I always put out some of the things we have been doing--books we've read, math problems we have worked on, math games we have played.

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 5, 2018

My mentor (another 6th grade math teacher) sent me her ppt and it is similar to mine. I added a few things that I noticed in hers and I think I am good to go and can fill the time for 12 minutes! :) I unfortunately do not have any student work to put up but I don't think most people in my building do.

15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 6, 2018

My Back to School Night went well! Only about four families showed up for each class. I was worried because I look young but the parents were very attentive and didn't seem to question me at all.

I am starting to think about Extra Help. My school requires that I give extra help after school for 30 minutes once a week. It seems like a lot of teachers do more. I honestly do not want to do more but I know a lot of kids want to come! I am already basically working until I go to bed so tutoring kids when I could be planning doesn't really appeal to me...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 6, 2018

Glad it went well! I would just stick to the 30 Minutes for now until you can see how that's working. I'm assuming you could always do more later if you wanted?

17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 6, 2018

I could definitely add more if I wanted. It's just that all of the teachers I talked to said they're available every day until 3.

18. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 6, 2018

Do not feel pressured to do more than 30 minutes for right now. Balancing a life outside of work is really important, and you're probably already going to work too hard and too long in your first year. :)

creativemonster and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 25, 2018

I'm surprised so many 6th graders want to come for extra help!! I can't remember extra help being a thing until I hit high school. If you're looking to add any more help times, can you maybe do one day before school where you get there early?

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 25, 2018

I wouldn't do before school because I need the time for myself & kids aren't allowed but almost none of my kids even want to come to extra help. I remind them but they just do not show up!!

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2018

I'm debating offering before school extra help/homework completion one or two days a week. I'll also open my room at morning recess twice a week. It seems as though the kids who most need the academic support rarely take advantage, but there will be a few who show (especially when the weather gets colder!).